Cloud or other Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud or other Backup

It's been a while since this came up so I'd like to revisit it. We all know that everyone needs to back up their sensitive data including at the very least any client records not limited to their returns. We all know that it is desirable to have a or the backup be to a place physically away from our offices so that it's unlikely the same disaster would take out both originals and backup. Thus comes the question of whether any online backup service is or even could reasonably be secure enough for legally mandated client confidentiality? After all, what's good enough for my family photos and my music might not be what I would insist on if my financial data were involved and even what I would put up with for my data the IRS might frown on my doing with the most precious data I have, that belonging to my clients.

I'm no expert and had serious security concerns also. I was told by a very savvy client that if they use encryption and transmit the files using encryption and SSL, it should be safer than storing the data on your laptop. I use Spideroak to store my data but I'm not recommending them - it's just the choice I made.

Comment

I am doing both, local, one just the files, a second one for the whole system and an online backup. It's not really a classical backup, all files are updated the second a change happens on my computer. The company is Dropbox and I highly recommend them, also in regards to security as far as I can tell.

I my eyes the security factor has two sides, one is solved with encryption and security tools. The other has to do with the secure physical location of the online company's server and if they only have one location or several.

Comment

Working...
      X