No announcement yet.

RTRP test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a better approach, in terms of marketing the EA profession, would be to lobby the IRS to change the name. Perhaps something like "Enrolled Tax Return Preparer", or "Registered Tax Return Representative", or "Registered Tax Adviser".

Neither "Enrolled" nor "Agent" works well. The former brings to mind enrolling in classes, while the latter suggests being an agent of the IRS. I'd prefer "advocate", but that's already been taken by the IRS for a different purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
      I think a better approach, in terms of marketing the EA profession, would be to lobby the IRS to change the name. Perhaps something like "Enrolled Tax Return Preparer", or "Registered Tax Return Representative", or "Registered Tax Adviser".

Neither "Enrolled" nor "Agent" works well. The former brings to mind enrolling in classes, while the latter suggests being an agent of the IRS. I'd prefer "advocate", but that's already been taken by the IRS for a different purpose.
      Authorized Taxpayer Representative?

EA in Calif.

Comment

NATP article discusses this topic

Here is a discussion that gets to the core of all of this. The article mentions the IRS should give all EA's automatically the RTRP designation w/o testing since the EA tests covered everything and more that the RTRP covered. As I mentioned in my 2nd post, the Series 7 has the same knowledge of securities as the Series 6 plus way more yet the Series 6 is referred to as the “Investment Company Products/Variable Contracts Limited Representative” I wonder why the NASD now FINRA couldn’t come up with a longer name. : ). Do you really think a new investor who knows nothing about securities is going to know what an Investment Co and/or VA is? The Series 7 is the “General Securities Representative”. I always felt the Series 7 should be called something short and simple like “Full Securities Rep” and Series 6 “Limited Securities Rep” OR "Full Investment Rep" OR "Limited Investment Rep". These titles will get the consumer asking questions about the difference between the Series 7 vs Series 6 for which they should.

The article goes to say what I also mentioned in my 2nd post, there is projected to be 400K RTRP’s vs 50K EA’s and to Gary’s & Otis’s point, the article is also suggesting changing the name of the EA to Enrolled Registered Tax Return Preparer OR Enrolled Tax Return Preparer. I like Gary’s suggestion of Registered Tax Advisor but carry it further with Registered Tax Adviser & Preparer OR for the RTRP, “Registered Limited Tax Preparer”(RLTP) and EA “Registered Unlimited Tax Preparer (RUTP) and of course the EA’s will be asked by the consumer what these acronyms mean for which EA’a will be happy to tell them EA’s are UNLIMITED.

I recently attended three of the four days of NATP’s annual TAXPRO Symposium in Atlantic City (see my TWTP posts). While it had nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          Here is a discussion that gets to the core of all of this. The article mentions the IRS should give all EA's automatically the RTRP designation w/o testing since the EA tests covered everything and more that the RTRP covered.
          That's a great idea, too, but I don't want to see the idea of renaming the EA to be lost under this. Both points are important.

Comment

There was discussions during the past year about changing the name of enrolled agents. NAEA did several surveys with choices as to possible name changes. In the end it was decided NOT to change the name of enrolled agents who have been around since 1884.

I think IRS should do a better job of informing the public about EA's and RTRP's. If someone goes to the website, they should first have a page that will explain what each is and the difference. Then people could go to the listing of either category and look for a local person to fill their needs.

Because of the need to make sure people know there are a lot of unscupulous people out there doing tax returns, there is much emphasis right now on the RTRP testing. It seems at the moment to overshadow the fact that EA's have always been here to help people and have always been highly qualified.

I think that might be an alternative....to give EA's the added title of RTRP's. We could use both initials after our names.....the more the better.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
              There was discussions during the past year about changing the name of enrolled agents. NAEA did several surveys with choices as to possible name changes. In the end it was decided NOT to change the name of enrolled agents who have been around since 1884.

II think that might be an alternative....to give EA's the added title of RTRP's. We could use both initials after our names.....the more the better.
              Linda

I'm going to disagree. Why would I want to move down in stature? Further I absolutely reject the example posted by the blogger - if EAs use the language as written, they deserve their fate.

A taxpayer looking to engage a paid preparer asks why he should choose her. She explains, “Because I am an EA.” The next question is, “What is an EA”, to which she answers, “An Enrolled Agent.” The prospective client then says, “Oh, so you work for the IRS.”

When "people in the elevator" see my name tag and ask "What is an EA?", I can offer two better 15 second responses. You can use the tag line adopted by NAEA - " EAs are America's Tax Experts" or a second alternative which is a personal favorite - "EAs do tax CPR"

The purpose is to catch attention. You can continue the conversation- "EAs have unlimited practice rights to represent taxpayers with the IRS; they can do Consultation, Preparation and Representation"

Forget the "woe is me" attitude - EAs need to sell themselves. The name is not going to change - thus promotion is the key. Compare limited practice rights versus unlimited practice rights - that's an easy sell for me to engage with taxpayers.

Comment

[QUOTE=New York Enrolled Agent;128731]
                When "people in the elevator" see my name tag and ask "What is an EA?", I can offer two better 15 second responses. You can use the tag line adopted by NAEA - " EAs are America's Tax Experts" or a second alternative which is a personal favorite - "EAs do tax CPR"

The purpose is to catch attention. You can continue the conversation- "EAs have unlimited practice rights to represent taxpayers with the IRS; they can do Consultation, Preparation and Representation"
                QUOTE]

I think I am going to use both of those in my year-end newsletter, on by tax return covers, and on my letterheads!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

Even though I'm an EA I will probably take the exam at some point. I'm a little weird in that I really enjoy a good exam. If I pick up a Readers Digest I go right to the word power quiz. Besides maybe taking the exam will be worth some CPE like the SEE is now.

The hardest exam I've ever taken was the Beer Judge Certification Exam. I took it with an attorney who pronounced it harder than the bar and a doctor who said it was tougher than the boards.

I don't really care about the designation. I still have to explain the difference between EA and CPA and even remind long term clients that I'm not a CPA.
                  In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                  Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Cpa

If you want to take an exam, don't go down. Take the CPA exam instead.

Comment

Perception

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                      I frankly couldn't care what the public perception is. It's their duty to learn the differences
                      Sam, I'm happy for anyone who can be unaffected by public perception. I'm not being sarcastic at all, I think it is quite possible for someone to be so successful that they can rise above the effects of public perception, and if you fit that category I'm proud for you.

From where I sit, perception runs the world. That's why so much money is spent on advertising and in particular polishing the image of political candidates. One of the painful lessons of becoming an adult was watching the success of "image" as opposed to "truth."

The worm goes to the bird who tells the best story, not the bird who does the best work. Eventually, better work may win out but by the time this happens, a new story is ready to be told. "It's their duty to learn the differences" will not happen except in a slow process. In fact, many of them will NEVER learn the difference, and will follow the loudest pied piper to their own detriment.

Comment

I have had the opportunity in the last 2 or 3 weeks to explain to people what an Enrolled Agent is and what makes us stand out as different. Neither person was familiar with the term enrolled agent. Yet they are both in the business of advertising and web based searches. They both thanked me for the information. So little by little we make ourselves known.

But I do LOVE NYEA's tag lines and quick responses.
                        If they don't mind us borrowing those phrases, I would like to use them also in my advertising and explanations. Is that okay with you, NYEA?

Linda, EA

Comment

So.... CPA Certified Public Account
                          .........EA Excellent Account.
                          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                            I have had the opportunity in the last 2 or 3 weeks to explain to people what an Enrolled Agent is and what makes us stand out as different. Neither person was familiar with the term enrolled agent. Yet they are both in the business of advertising and web based searches. They both thanked me for the information. So little by little we make ourselves known.

But I do LOVE NYEA's tag lines and quick responses.
                            If they don't mind us borrowing those phrases, I would like to use them also in my advertising and explanations. Is that okay with you, NYEA?

Linda, EA
                            Absolutely!!

One caveat though - NAEA is in the process of trademarking its tag line. It will be only be available for use by members.

Linda - keep up your good work in educating the public about EAs. You are obviously seizing an opportunity to publicize the enrolled agent credential.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
                              Forget the "woe is me" attitude - EAs need to sell themselves. The name is not going to change - thus promotion is the key. Compare limited practice rights versus unlimited practice rights - that's an easy sell for me to engage with taxpayers.
                              But "the name is not going to change" attitude comes from the same defeatism that feeds the "woe is me" attitude. While I agree working on promotion, trying to get the name changed is part of the promotion.

Does anyone know the reasons that led to the NAEA conclusion (or the membership responses) to not change the name?

Comment

The name changes appear to me to be a bad idea. Not all EAs prepare taxes. No matter how you change it, someone will be limited / slighted by the new name.

Comment

Working...
                                X