Unexpected Levy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected Levy

I negotiated CNC Status for a client on the phone maybe six or eight business days ago. Naturally the agent told me that our deal still had to be approved by management. I was not expecting to hear confirmation or denial for at least another week but now the client says the bank won't let him access what funds he has because the IRS intends to levy. Needless to say I need to call in on Monday but would it be better to call the ACS at the number on the last notice or the PPL or some other number?

You want to call ACS. You can use the PPL and then ask for ACS but ACS has the file.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I just learned that the PPL has the authority to put you in front of the line for ACS, but that they cannot talk to you about your client any more once the file is in ACS. Should you opt for calling PPL to minimize hold time I would be curious about your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
        I negotiated CNC Status for a client on the phone maybe six or eight business days ago. Naturally the agent told me that our deal still had to be approved by management. I was not expecting to hear confirmation or denial for at least another week but now the client says the bank won't let him access what funds he has because the IRS intends to levy. Needless to say I need to call in on Monday but would it be better to call the ACS at the number on the last notice or the PPL or some other number?
        I 'spec the levy action was in progress already when you got a deal 8 days ago.
        Like a Norfolk Southern locomotive, IRS can't just stop on a dime.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Update

TY for all replies. Here's an update.

I did call into the PPL and was told the wait would be longer than 15 minutes but it wasn't much longer than that and I usually wait at least that when I call other numbers. The lady I spoke with was very nice but she did have to give me to ACS. I got a nice man at ACS who said that the Levy was on 11/25 and that letters releasing it had been sent on 12/9 and 12/17. The representative is going to fax me a copy of the letter but that may take until tomorrow. Meanwhile he told me it could be the State. He said as far as he knows only the IRS and the State the bank is in (NC in this case) can levy a bank account without going through court proceedings.

I tell you what, I used to have a very low opinion of taxing agency employees but in the past two or three years my opinion has gone up.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
            I tell you what, I used to have a very low opinion of taxing agency employees but in the past two or three years my opinion has gone up.
            Yeah I would say the quality of service I have been receiving is ticking upwards, nowadays about 60% of the IRS employees I work with are very helpful.

Comment

Update

I got the fax from the IRS tonight and I faxed it on to the number my client provided so I hope all is well now. I do have confirmation that it reached that number but after Banker's Hours.

Comment

Post Script

The money was returned to the client and today we got the IRS Letters telling us he is in CNC Status.

Comment

Working...
                X