Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a clients return last year who was in a partnerships whose doors had closed in 2010,it was a restaurant. However we did not file a final return in 2010 because the business was still paying rent and other bills in 2011 for the business. My plan was to file a final return in 2011 and then use the NOL that was created by the business. At the bottom I provided a link of what I am looking at, it's at the bottom of page 3. Now a lawyer is telling her she should have filed for the final return in 2010. I consider paying bills as a business activity. Can anyone give me some reassurance that I was correct.

Here is the link

Comment

Tell the lawyer to engage brain before opening mouth. ( or read the 1065 instructions )

Comment

Was there a bankuptcy or other arrangement with creditors involved in the shutdown?
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Or was there any event that would show a dissolution of the partnership prior to resolving the liabilities?

Most lawyers aren't tax lawyers, and most tax lawyers don't know an 8812 from an 8814.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for everyone who responded. There was no bankruptcy. I think the lawyer just beleives becasue there is no revenue, and the doors are closed, that the business is closed. He is not taking into account that paying bills is a business activity.

Comment

Working...
            X