Nonfiler interrupted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nonfiler interrupted

I picked up a non filer client who wanted to come back into compliance after eight years. I was working with her on getting all her papers together and then I was going to just do them one afternoon. They were all simple returns with nothing but dividends, capital gain distributions and investment interest and I expect each one to be very close to zero bottom line. I was going to have her mail them in separate envelopes anyway but along comes a request from the State for one in about the middle and it is based on IRS information even though we have not yet heard from the IRS about any year. So I called the State and negotiated a deadline to file that return and said deadline will be met. However, I wonder if a letter should accompany the return. I also wonder if letters should accompany the Federal returns and other State returns.

I think they will ignore the letters. Or Worse, they will read the letters and it will cause them to ask questions they hadn't thought of. Why wave a red flag? If IRS or the state should have any questions, they have the client's address.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      I think they will ignore the letters. Or Worse, they will read the letters and it will cause them to ask questions they hadn't thought of. Why wave a red flag? If IRS or the state should have any questions, they have the client's address.
      100% agree. Just mail them in.

Comment

Agree, unless you have contact with a specfic IRS office with instructions to mail them there then just send them normally one year to an envelope.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

I agree with the last three. mail in separate envelopes. If she owes on any combine all liability due and file an IA for the total, send first payment with form to required address (it's in the instructions).

Once you know that all filings have been entered into the computer you can call IRS and adjust the monthly payments if needed.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

SFRs could have been filed, but no tax due for federal, but tax due for state. Or simply, that the wage & income info received from the feds caused the state to do an SFR. I would mail the feds in separate envelopes (or hand carry to the local IRS office if this is an option), but follow the instructions on the state letter for the state returns.

Comment

Working...
            X