Gift tax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift tax question

Husband and Wife gifted to their son in 2010.

Based on my understanding of the instruction, if they elect to split the gift 1/2 and 1/2, both of them need to file their own separate Form 709. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

But in Schedule A Part 1 (page 2 of Form 709), right after entering the split gift made by the taxpayer, the split gift made by the spouse is also needed to be filled in. And then the combined total of the split gifts made by the taxpayer and the spouse is used to calculate the gift tax.

But then if the spouse is also required to file a separate Form 709 (based on my understanding), the split gift made by both the taxpayer and the spouse would be reported again in the Schedule A of the spouse's Form 709. So the gift amount would be doubly reported eventually.

I know something there about my understanding of the instruction is not correct. Can someone point out where my mistake is?

Column G reduces the entries by half, and of course, each line only reports that individual's share of the gift. So if a couple gives a home worth $100,000, then each 709 will have two lines (one line for the taxpayer filing the return, one for the spouse), each line will have 50K in column F (because each spouse is only gifting 50K), and 25K in columns G and H, for a total of 50K on each 709.

Comment

Working...
    X