Exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exemptions

Is there a limit on the number of exemptions one can claim on his W4? At one time I was told if you claimed 10 or more you had to send something with your return to prove the number. I have a client who makes pretty good money and also gets pretty good refunds. He would like to set his return up so he doesn't have ;to pay but also doesn't get a very large refund. Help. thanks Ted Boam

The current rule is that a person can claim as many exemptions on their W-4 as they want. The employer no longer has to submit the W-4 to the IRS for review unless that IRS asks for it. As long as they are getting refunds the IRS is fine with whatever withholding occurs. If they have a large balance due on filing a return, the IRS will direct the employer as to how much to withhold to minimize the balance due on future returns.

Often the problem is with the payroll office of the employer, they aren't up to date on the rules and will try to dictate to the employee what they can claim.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Unless there's a current tax practititioner by that name, I don't believe a U. S. President
      from the late 1800's would have known about the Internet.
      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Withholding Compliance

from IRS website posting Q&A http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...139412,00.html

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Unless there's a current tax practititioner by that name, I don't believe a U. S. President
          "Able was I ere I saw the internet" - Napolean

I know this is true. I saw it on the innerweb someplace.
          Y2KEA

Comment

Honest Abe invented the internet, contrary to what Al Gore claims.

Comment

That just goes to show the truthfulness of the quote attributed to him, which he could not have said.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                That just goes to show the truthfulness of the quote attributed to him, which he could not have said.
                I think it was on the wall of his facebook page.

Comment

clarification

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
                  I think it was on the wall of his facebook page.
                  There is certainly no public record of this statement ever having been made!

OTOH, I seem to recall that the message was Tweeted to his friends.....

Comment

Well, even if he didn't say it ( which hasn't been proven to my satisfaction), then as a matter of fact I'm sure it's something he would have said.
                    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                    X