ProSeries users and printers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ProSeries users and printers

As I may have mentioned on this board before, my Lexmark E260 laser printer hesitates between forms when printing a tax return. It will print form both pgs of form 1040 w/o hesitation, but then hesitates when it prints the next form #. Even had Lexmark mail me a replacement printer, adjusted the setting etc.and now to the point I want a different printer. ProSeries recommends HP printers. I read a post from DMICPA (proseries user) that has success with the HP Laser Jet 1320 but I was leaning towards a Laser vs. Laser Jet. Any suggestions on any make and model #'s for which you have and continue to have sucess with. I have a 64-bit Win7 if that matters.

If you'll forgive an early morning tangent: Often, when a printer pauses in the middle of a print job, after printing one or more pages, the cause is the printer's memory buffer filling up. Tax forms, because of all the lines, bar codes, arbitrary positioning, etc., can require more printer memory than plain business documents containing just text.

Adding more memory might help, but it could just move the hesitation to after the Sch. A, which is no help at all. However, the price of additional memory at the Lexmark site is ludicrous (more than twice that of the printer), probably because it's either obsolete, non-standard, or both.

So while I'm not suggesting expanding the memory of your current printer, I am suggesting paying attention to memory options when buying a replacement. Also, if other contributors here have more specific experience concerning memory versus printing tax returns, even if not related to the printers in question, perhaps they could share that experience.

Comment

Printer

I have been running a HP 2100 for the last 10 years with ProSeries no problems.

Comment

Lexmark 260dn has 32mb

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
        If you'll forgive an early morning tangent: Often, when a printer pauses in the middle of a print job, after printing one or more pages, the cause is the printer's memory buffer filling up. Tax forms, because of all the lines, bar codes, arbitrary positioning, etc., can require more printer memory than plain business documents containing just text..
        My Lexmark E260dn has 32 MB of memory and I already talked to ProSeries tech support and they told me I have plenty of memory.

Comment

Laserjet 4000

Been using it for more than 10 years and it works great. Can probably pick one up used.

Comment

HP also

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
            As I may have mentioned on this board before, my Lexmark E260 laser printer hesitates between forms when printing a tax return. It will print form both pgs of form 1040 w/o hesitation, but then hesitates when it prints the next form #. Even had Lexmark mail me a replacement printer, adjusted the setting etc.and now to the point I want a different printer. ProSeries recommends HP printers. I read a post from DMICPA (proseries user) that has success with the HP Laser Jet 1320 but I was leaning towards a Laser vs. Laser Jet. Any suggestions on any make and model #'s for which you have and continue to have sucess with. I have a 64-bit Win7 if that matters.
            I also run HP. I have had 2 of them over the past however many years. They just run and never seem to have a problem.

Dusty

Comment

Consider this

Have you properly "told" your tax software (not your computer in general), using printer setup, what your printer is? In spite of whether you have the printer working fine with other software, if you have not taken this step it is possible your tax software may be acting as if you have something else....such as whatever their default printer might be.

Have you checked to be sure your own printer driver software is up to date?

I tend to agree with others that mere memory should not be an issue here, regardless of the "complexity" of the document(s) being printed. Even if the memory somehow becomes full, there should be a mechanism in place to either buffer the data, or pause the incoming data, until everything is clear.

With an updated 64bit Win7 system, you should not be having these problems.

Another option: You may wish to "remove" your printer (using control panel), rebooting, and then reinstalling the printer. Your system should recognize the "new" printer automatically. Unless you are a computer geek, use the default settings!

Bottom line: I suspect software....not printer....is the underlying problem.

Good luck!

FE

Comment

HP P2035 and HP2100

I have used an HP P2035 for the last year with no problems and an HP2100 for the last 10 years with no problems.

GTS1101

Comment

I have HP 4015, the ppm is awesome and I wouldn't say it hesitates it stops very briefly between print jobs which I like because this is how I can tell that each job is complete. i.e. I can grab the complete printout before the next series starts to print.
                  I can tell you that it doesn't hesitate when I batch print...only when I select separate printing jobs.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X