Medical Mileage Deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Mileage Deduction

Elderly client is driven to medical appointments by family member and reimburses family member at .55/mile for use of their vehicle. What, if anything, would you deduct as transportation costs to medical appointments? Amount actually paid to family member or mileage at .235/mile?

Thanks!

The $ 0.555 is BUSINESS mileage rate, not medical mileage rate.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin View Post
      Elderly client is driven to medical appointments by family member and reimburses family member at .55/mile for use of their vehicle. What, if anything, would you deduct as transportation costs to medical appointments? Amount actually paid to family member or mileage at .235/mile?

Thanks!
      That's awfully generous of him, 55 cents a mile.
      However to your question, I would compute at amount actually paid as long as it did not also include trips to the grocery store, local houses of pleasure, etc etc.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Actual fare

Originally posted by Calvin View Post

Thanks!
        I would also consider this the same as actual fare paid for a taxi, ambulance, bus, etc. and deduct the actual amount paid.

If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Hopefully, the family member is reporting that amount as income.

While the client's ability to take a deduction shouldn't be dependent on the driver's proper handling of the income, the fact that they are related could cause additional scrutiny. Will the client be able to prove the amount paid? Prove that it was intended as payment for services, and not merely a convenient reimbursement for expenses, with any excess considered a gift? Does the client get receipts or pay by check?

Comment

Good points

Good points, Gary. I was thinking about this last night, and if the family member is waiting through appointments with the patient, and I assume he is, 55 cents a mile is not excessive. At least where I live, you can figure on one hour wait, 5 minutes with doctor.

But, yes, pay by check.
            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Working...
            X