Merging LLC to C-Corp to become 501(c)4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merging LLC to C-Corp to become 501(c)4

Ok, got a call. 2 unrelated people formed a 2 member LLC and already accepted some donations and spent most of it on media ads, legal fees and filing fees but no salary pd and members recieved $0 compensation of any type and by doing so was under the impression they were a 501(c)4 all along. I guess previous attorney dropped the ball. New attorney says they need to merge into an C-Corp or liquidiate LLC based on the laws of the AZ Dept of Corps. Then they want to apply for the 501(c) 4 status. Their main concern is will there be any taxable event to the members upon the merger?

Are there any assets being transferred in the merger?

This brings to mind a curious question: Can an LLC elect to be taxed as a corporation and then file for tax exempt status under 501(c)__ ? Or is it necessary to be an actual corporation to file for exemption? I don't have much experience with 501s, but am curious if anyone knows if that can be done?
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
      Are there any assets being transferred in the merger?

This brings to mind a curious question: Can an LLC elect to be taxed as a corporation and then file for tax exempt status under 501(c)__ ? Or is it necessary to be an actual corporation to file for exemption? I don't have much experience with 501s, but am curious if anyone knows if that can be done?
      It's not necessary to be a corporation to file for 501(c) status, though I believe that in the case of 501(c)4 status, corporations are common.

I'm guessing that LLC's are limited to business purposes and thus ineligible to be non-profits, at least for the state in question. If that guess is correct, then then the purpose of incorporation as a non-profit would be for liability protection.

Comment

Working...
      X