• Show
Clear All

Code "V" on W-2

Client had CODE "V" in Box 14.

Should I ignore it?

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Client had CODE "V" in Box 14.

Should I ignore it?
    Box 14 is an info box. He might have received vehicle reimbursement. Ask him. Unless he has any other explanation, just ignore it
    Last edited by Brian EA; 03-26-2006, 04:34 PM.
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Code V

Code V in box 14 should be money that was added to his wages in
      Box 1 because he exercise stock options.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene V
        Code V in box 14 should be money that was added to his wages in
        Box 1 because he exercise stock options.
        The income from the stock options is included in box 1. He will have to report the stock option on Sch D. Most times it is a loss which is usually the commission he paid.. He should have a 1099B from his broker
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Code V

Box 14 is an info box. He might have received vehicle reimbursement. Ask him. Unless he has any other explanation, just ignore it
          ]

Brian I'm glad you saw the light.
          The income from the stock options is included in box 1. He will have to report the stock option on Sch D. Most times it is a loss which is usually the commission he paid.. He should have a 1099B from his broker

Comment

Code V and 1099-B

I have heard that some companies are not issuing 1099-Bs when employees exercise stock options. In this case would you just ignore the stock sale and not report it on Sch D or would you just try to come up with some numbers? If they aren't issuing 1099-Bs, I guess this means they aren't reporting the stock sale to the IRS, and putting it on Sch. D might cause more confusion than it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis V
              I have heard that some companies are not issuing 1099-Bs when employees exercise stock options. In this case would you just ignore the stock sale and not report it on Sch D or would you just try to come up with some numbers? If they aren't issuing 1099-Bs, I guess this means they aren't reporting the stock sale to the IRS, and putting it on Sch. D might cause more confusion than it's worth.

I am sure they have some paper work on the option exercised. As I mentioned earlier most of the times it is a loss so it would be beneficial to report on Sch D.

Comment

it would be a loss

>>most of the times it is a loss <<

Only reason it would be a loss is if they used a broker that assessed a fee. Brokers have to issue a 1099-B. If the company just bought back the stock there is nothing to report except the ordinary income already included in Box 1.

Comment

Working...
                X