Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calif Taxes

From Spidell:

No parcel numbers on Schedule CA (10-31-2011)

Our sources at the FTB have confirmed that they will not include lines on Schedule CA requiring information on property taxes deducted as itemized deductions. Fortunately, the FTB listened to pleas from Spidell and others to hold off on this until it can be property vetted. Property tax statements do not clearly state what is and is not deductible, and Mello-Roos payments may be deductible if certain conditions exist.

This is only a reprieve. The FTB has stated that they will be going forward with “education and outreach” on this issue, and they will reassess requesting the information next year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

RLymanC

We must have posted at close to the same time.
    I put the post under the prior thread http://www.thetaxbook.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18244

Sandy

Comment

I got the same email and was happy to see that. The topic was brought up at my last CSTC meeting and we were all trying to figure out how you can determine just what is and what is not deductible. I had seen the draft Sch CA and it was nasty (and only had room for one property).

Now Sacramento County has a great lookup feature which I use if the client doesn't have their 1098 or only brought in their last tax bill (since the payments per bill are due in December & April that can be a pain). Now I can just look up the last 4 payments online and get the parcel number from the address. But I wasn't looking forward to having to do that for everyone that gives me a 1098.

Comment

Sacramento

Joan
        Glad you have that option in your County or area - guess it is going to be a county by county basis in Calif. I have had "terrible" luck trying to retrieve prior payments in Riverside County or any of the Southern Calif area.

Wouldn't it be nice if the State would mandate the same records to be available to us online prior to trying to "pass a bill" as well as a more detailed deductilbe/not deductible notation on the actual bill.

Afterall the Calif DMV provides a tool to look up the VLF deductible for tax purposes on the Vehicle Registrations. I use that all of the time as my clients never can find their receipts.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
        X