What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

Taxpayer found out a mistake has been made in his tax return for more than 30 years. To cut a long story short, it is a confusion in the percentage ownership of a rental property. The difference is not significant though. Anyway, it is unthinkable to amend 30 years of tax returns. So is it advisable to just amend the last 6 years? Does anyone of you think the taxpayer should go farther back than that?

How insignificant? Are we talking refund or pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
      How insignificant? Are we talking refund or pay?
      For the last 4 years, there will be a small balance due, probably less than $200 before interest and penalty.

For the years farther back than the last 4 years, I think probably there will be a refund if the tax returns are amended. But I am not absolutely sure since I don't even have most of the original returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
        Taxpayer found out a mistake has been made in his tax return for more than 30 years. To cut a long story short, it is a confusion in the percentage ownership of a rental property. The difference is not significant though. Anyway, it is unthinkable to amend 30 years of tax returns. So is it advisable to just amend the last 6 years? Does anyone of you think the taxpayer should go farther back than that?
        I would go back 3, 4 at the most especially if the prior year returns aren't going to show a balance due.

Comment

Won't get a refund past last 3, so I agree with kpangelinan.
          Gary B., E.A.

Comment

OP never specified which way the error went, whether any 1040x would result in overpayment or underpayment.

Thus we can't assume a potential refund. And if the other way, what is significant?
            $50? $100 in increased tax?

IRS has three years normally (not involving fraud) to audit returns, same period as taxpayers have to request a refund, so that would be the outside number of years.

HOWsomeever...... I doubt that IRS would want to bother with collecting less than $50; too much paperwork. We have our suspicions anyway that there is some threshold that even a cp2000 is not issued.

So then. client should decide.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
            X