Audit by Mail of Schedule C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got

one of these SchC mail audits - what P%^&*9 me off is that they want the CLIENT to bring copies of 2009 and 2010 returns? Hey you're the IRS YOU HAVE THOSE returns!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
      one of these SchC mail audits - what P%^&*9 me off is that they want the CLIENT to bring copies of 2009 and 2010 returns? Hey you're the IRS YOU HAVE THOSE returns!!!!!!
      \
      BRING? bring 2009 and 2010 copies where? You said this is a mail audit.
      For which year is the audit?
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Prior audits

I was told by an auditor prior - several years ago - the Audit Dept does not receive copies of the prior tax returns - that is why they request from the preparers and the taxpayer

More like the auditor is to substantiate that we filed those returns - I have rarely had them looked at or reviewed, and most times I walked away with the "printed copies" that I took with me.

Seems odd to me! Is it that the Depts at IRS do not communicate with each other?

Sandy

Comment

The last time I dealt with a mail audit was a Sales Tax deduction on Schedule A. I talked about it here on the forum. Sent the requested information twice. A stack of receipts. Because the client had a basement that flooded could not get all the receipts... so it would come out with them owing. Well I kept getting that they did not receive the information. They kept putting 45 day holds. Finally after six months I got the Taxpayer Advocate involved. The case was resolved in a few days. A no change status. Client did not owe a thing.

Comment

I can't imagine requesting a face-to-face, when a mail audit was initiated, unless there were extenuating circumstances or a complete lack of records. A face-to-face allows the auditor to open up the audit to other items not originally identified that they happen upon while reviewing the full return under audit.

Comment

Working...
            X