Payroll programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll programs

For all of you out there that do bookkeeping and payroll for your clients, what kind of payroll program do you use?

My bookkeeping clients have all just had less than 5 employees at any one time. So I have just figured it manually. Most have same payroll every month so the amounts stay the same.

But a fairly new client that I have just been figuring their payroll for the last couple of months has a larger payroll. Doing it manually is very time consuming. Now they want me to print the payroll checks for them. Then they will either pick them up or I will take them to the business. (Business is only about 4 miles from my house) So now I need a better system. I have them on Quickbooks right now and to sign up for standard payroll service for QB is $199 a year.

So do you have any suggestions for something better? Thanks for your help.

Linda F

Peachtree! (bookkeeping and payroll)

Great product, low cost (free if you catch it at the right time of the year), user friendly.

Sign up for Accountants Network and you get the Premium Accountants Edition, all updates, all tax tables, etc. for $299. Also allows you to offer direct deposit, and you get a $125 referral fee for each client you set up on DD after they are on for 3 months. Also allows you to accept debit/credit cards for payment for low cost ($14.95 per month). We just love it and wouldn't think about anything else.

From startup to enterprise solutions, Sage has innovative software powered by the latest AI and machine learning to manage your accounting, people, payroll, and payments.

I hate QB, seems too "dumbed down" for me.

Comment

Linda - you might look at Medlin (medlin.com). It's shareware and only costs $45/year. I used it for 2 years and did payroll for 50 employees and did a good job. Just can't import to other accounting packages. Free download to try.

Comment

Payroll program

Any one else with some ideas? I will look at Medlin. Thanks

Linda F

Comment

I use creative solutions very expensive but worth the money. You might try Quickbooks pro

Comment

I had Creative Solutions but sent it back. Has their support improved?

Comment

YEs it has gotten much better

Comment

I have been using QuickBooks Pro for a very long time. I do two customer's weekly payroll on it. One customer has 24 employees. I bought the enhanced payroll for accountants. The good thing is that now all forms including state are on the QuickBooks enhanced payroll. I use VersaCheck to print out the paychecks. Well what I do is first run it through Quicbooks then I select VersaCheck to print the checks. You have to use MICR ink or the bank will reject the checks. Has worked out very well.

Comment

geekgirldany

Who do you buy the checks through? What is MICR ink and where do you get it? Is it for inkjet printers or laser printers?

I talked it over with my employee/husband and he thought since I already using QB that I should just get the standard package and add it to their cost of doing their payroll.
                  I am meeting with them later today and need to give them a place to buy the checks.
                  They said the cheapest place I could get them would be fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Linda F

Comment

The best I've used and continue to use is www.paycycle.com

You can access from any computer, even set it up and your client can input the data for payday. Price is good and their e-mail reminders are great for those prone to forgetfulness.
                    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Payroll

Quickbooks does an outstanding job and includes all payroll reports.

Profit

Comment

Go here:

I bought the VersaCheck Gold. The program sets up like another printer on your computer. So when you go to QuickBooks to print the checks you select VersaCheck as your printer. Opens the program, you run through a menu and then print the payroll checks. VersaCheck has the check stock. Its $40 for a stock of 500 checks... voucher style business. VersaCheck has the MICR ink for injet printers and laser printers. I would not use the inkjet though because I tried it and Regions Bank told me it did not pass their test on the magnetic ink (micr). If you have a HP should be pretty easy to find the MICR toner. I bought a old Laserjet 4 at Goodwill and bought the MICR cartiage for $90 bucks. It is still going. I buy my ink here http://qualitylaser.com . They sell remanufactured toners and it is worth the savings.

EDIT:
                        MICR ink is the ink they put on checks so the banks computers can read them.
                        Last edited by geekgirldany; 03-27-2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X