Ed credits situation. I may need to amend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed credits situation. I may need to amend

Last minute client unorganized and was able to get their tax return efiled evening the evening of Oct 17th. Client claims daughter who filed her own tax return mainly to get her Fed withholding. Daughter had a 1098-T in her name and when I entered it, I could not generate an Ed credits. Upon looking at pg 12-3 in TTB (right side top of page example), I see an example that as I read it, if the 1098-T was in the daughters name yet the parents paid the tuition (which I found out later), parents can claim ed credits on their tax return for which they would qualify based on AGI. Am I reading this correctly?

The duaghter tax return has NO Fed income tax due but parents do.

as long as they claim the daughter as a dependent.. yes that is correct.

chris

Comment

The woes of mid-October filing

Originally posted by spanel View Post
      as long as they claim the daughter as a dependent.. yes that is correct.

chris
      Agreed.

Of course, my guess is the daughter long ago did claim herself on her own "show me the money!" personal tax return.

And then, October 17th is not a very good time to be staring a generally worthless Form 1098-T in the face either...

FE

Comment

You do not need to enter a 1098-T.

In fact, I wouldn't, since, as Feduke implies, its information is ambiguous at best, and worthless at worst. Just enter the correct information into the return for the tuition credit you are claiming.
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
        X