Printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer

Any reccomendations on a printer, mainly for taxes. I always go with the cheapest thing, but thinking with the cost of ink and paper maybe I should rethink that. I need it to scan as well as print. I'm wondering if a two sided printer would be a good idea? Maybe the ink for certain brands are cheaper, kodak was advertising that, don't know how true, their printers are more expensive, that's alot of ink. Opinions? I like the idea of wireless and wifi, but that's not necessary.

I have used Samsung Laser printers (ML-1200 and now a ML120) for the last 10 years or so. They are super cheap (less than $200, and if you get them on sale less than $100). They are quick, uncomplicated and just little workhorses. In fact I bought my current one at a black Monday sale even though I didn't need it knowing that eventually the printer I was using was going to wear out...it sat in my closet for two years before the other one finally died!)

I buy the laser cartridge refills on amazon for about $30.00 a piece.

Speed is pretty important when you're printing large documents. I have an all-in-one I use for faxing and printing photos and is it ever slow even when printing just a black and white document.

I do like the idea of two sided printing though since I firmly embrace recycling and conserving our natural resources.

Carolyn

Comment

Brother

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
      Any reccomendations on a printer, mainly for taxes. I always go with the cheapest thing, but thinking with the cost of ink and paper maybe I should rethink that. I need it to scan as well as print. I'm wondering if a two sided printer would be a good idea? Maybe the ink for certain brands are cheaper, kodak was advertising that, don't know how true, their printers are more expensive, that's alot of ink. Opinions? I like the idea of wireless and wifi, but that's not necessary.
      I have a Brother multi function machine. It is laser not ink based. That lowers the per copy cost. It allows me to copy 1 sided to 2 sided - 2 sided to 2 sided etc. I can fax, copy print and scan. If you need an actual model number I can get that for you but I would check the current models out there.

Dusty

Comment

I have a Brother DCP-8085DN Multi Function Laser Printer. Great machine, Duplex is great. A little slower than the Toshiba I had for 12 years before it died. But a whole lot cheaper.

$349.99 plus tax from Quill.
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Yeah, definitely go laser and there's a ton of little workhorses out there.

You may not want to go this route, but it has saved us, who knows how many thousands:

We have 4 workstations and use the old government (yes, even the IRS used these way back when) HP1100 laser printers and have been able to find them on ebay super cheap. We've gone through a dozen or so in almost 14 years and each have pushed out over 100k counts with no problems....and cartridges were a dime a dozen on ebay for cheap. They're not fast, but man, they have been incredibly durable. Just watch the print count when you buy, even though one with a lot could still work for you, the lower the better. These machines also had a feeder problem when HP first developed it and you can buy the little sticky adapter on ebay for $1.00 + shipping I think.

They're getting harder to find (discontinued years ago), but I still find them pretty plentiful, or I did when I recently looked for more a year or so ago...maybe not now. Anyways, good luck.

Comment

Hp

I've always found HP to be work horses. My very old HP Laserjet 4L is still working with my husband's computer. To do everything, including scanning, faxing, and duplexing, using wi-fi, I have a HP Officejet Pro L7780. I have a big HP color laser printer, but that's costly to use, so just when I need color. For tax returns, I have a very speedy HP Laserjet P2055dn which I love. All printers are a few years old, so those model numbers probably aren't around. I looked for speed, then cost of supplies, and last the cost of the machine as that's not very important if you keep your printers for a while.

Comment

Probably stay clear of Lexmark E260dn

I sent the 1st one back and the 2nd one was no improvement. Had tech support on the phone many times but still no improvement. Hesitates when printing tax return and takes for ever to print one.

I myself will also need to purchase a new printer later this year and I would like to ask you ProSeries tax users, what printer are you using?

Comment

printer

I have 4 hp 2055 that I bought on EBAY for under $175.00 a piece they have worked fine for 4 years.I only use them for tax season and they print about 600 returns each.

Comment

I purchased 2 HP4000TN last year. You can purchase an optional duplexer for $60.00. They each came with a full toner, and I purchased one additional toner during tax season. The two combined printers printed over 2200 returns in addition to any email correspondence, reference materials, etc., on only 4 toner cartridges. I purchased the re-filled cartridges for @ 50.00 each. The speed of these printers is amazing. Not too many years ago, these printers sold new for over 2k with all the options. You can get them really inexpensive with low print counts. Here is where I got mine: http://www.greatprinterdeals.com/category_s/406.htm

No problems at all this past season. I like that it handles 2 reams of paper, so I don't run out of paper. When I hear it switch to the 2nd paper handler, I automatically re-load the main paper feed.

Just my opinion, but I love this printer. 25ppm also is a plus.
                  Gary B., E.A.

Comment

Originally posted by kpangelinan View Post
                    Yeah, definitely go laser and there's a ton of little workhorses out there.

You may not want to go this route, but it has saved us, who knows how many thousands:

We have 4 workstations and use the old government (yes, even the IRS used these way back when) HP1100 laser printers and have been able to find them on ebay super cheap. We've gone through a dozen or so in almost 14 years and each have pushed out over 100k counts with no problems....and cartridges were a dime a dozen on ebay for cheap. They're not fast, but man, they have been incredibly durable. Just watch the print count when you buy, even though one with a lot could still work for you, the lower the better. These machines also had a feeder problem when HP first developed it and you can buy the little sticky adapter on ebay for $1.00 + shipping I think.

They're getting harder to find (discontinued years ago), but I still find them pretty plentiful, or I did when I recently looked for more a year or so ago...maybe not now. Anyways, good luck.
                    Why laser?

Comment

Why laser?
                      Price per sheet and reliability. My office does around 400 taxes/year. Around 30 pages per return = 12000 pages. @ ~ .01 page.. thats $120 in toner roughly.

Same 12000 pages in ink ~.05 page will cost you $600 if your lucky.

So just in ink, you will save enough money in my senario to pay for the More expensive laser printer.

Next is longevity.. laser printers are built to print 10s of thousands of pages. Ink printer are built to print 100s of pages.

Last but no least.. is speed. Most lasers will print out at 2x-3x the speed of ink printers.

All of the about is why Businesses use Laser and Homes use ink.

Chris

Comment

Why laser?
                        Originally posted by spanel View Post
                        Price per sheet and reliability. My office does around 400 taxes/year. Around 30 pages per return = 12000 pages. @ ~ .01 page.. thats $120 in toner roughly.

Same 12000 pages in ink ~.05 page will cost you $600 if your lucky.

So just in ink, you will save enough money in my senario to pay for the More expensive laser printer.

Next is longevity.. laser printers are built to print 10s of thousands of pages. Ink printer are built to print 100s of pages.

Last but no least.. is speed. Most lasers will print out at 2x-3x the speed of ink printers.

All of the about is why Businesses use Laser and Homes use ink.

Chris
                        Absolutely....there's absolutely no comparison to the quality and price savings from laser to the traditional home ink jets.

Comment

Canon

I purchased a Canon Image Class MF6530 Printer (print/copy/scanner) a couple of years ago for my business. I absolutely love it. The regular price was somewhere around $600 then, but Staples had the floor model on their "reduced rack" for about $110. Since the print cartridge cost more than that, I figured I wasn't really risking anything. It works great. I did find it more cost effective to buy my toner cartridges on e-bay vs. Staples. I've been able to find them for about 1/2 the price of what Staples charges.

Good luck!

Mo

Comment

HP lazer printer

I am a true believer in the HP Lazer printers. They are true work horses!
                            I have a HP 4000 and also a HP 4014n . I have not had any problems with either one of them. You can find refurbished cartridges at a reasonable cost.

And yes, price per page is much less with a lazer printer.

Comment

HP does the Job

Been using the HP laserJet 1320 for the last several years and have had no problems at all.

It can print on both sides. I use Pro Series for the tax program and have not had any compatibility issues.

Before this 1320, I had a LaserJet 4+ for years and nover had any problems. I sold it for $50 to a client and they are still using it.

if you do get a scanner, printer, fax, I bought a Muratec MFX 2550. It is a fast printer and great scanner. I would however get the next model up because it will scan both sides and this one doesn't. It can print both sides but not efficiently.

Comment

Working...
                              X