Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I missing something?

When a proprietor who also does farming has a loss of goods (freezer went out), I'm thinking he can deduct all costs associated with that, but NOT the loss of sale of that item, or loss of profit. Am I missing something?

If I'm understanding your question

You're not missing anything because you can't deduct something you didn't receive. If they would have sold the freezer full of food they would have made a profit of $1,000 - but because the freezer went out they will now have a profit of Zero, Zero is what is included in income Zero is what you deduct.

If they want to add the pretend $1,000 into their income they can turn around and deduct the $1,000 loss which nets out to Zero.

They will be able to deduct what the cost of the meat or the cost of what they loss but that's it.

Comment

Not missing anything at all-that would be double dipping. He hasn't included the sale in income so he can't deduct the "loss of sale" from it. You are correct, he can deduct the costs.

Comment

He has already deducted his cost associated with growing the products.

Similar to a cattle farmer. They always want to deduct the value of the raised calf that died. I tell them that they already deducted the feed, vet bills, and overhead expenses with raising that calf.

This assumes the cash basis of accounting.
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Thanks everyone, good to have 2nd opinions when TP will not like what we say!

Comment

Working...
          X