Sch C 941 and no W2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sch C 941 and no W2

My client runs a construction business, Sch C.

He paid his wife 2080.00 and filed a 941 for the 3rd quarter that reflected SS and Medicare only, no "withholding." (He only paid her for 4 months.)

He filed no W2.

What is the best way to handle this? Either I file an amended 941 for zero wages paid, or I need to file a W2 for her.

Oh it gets worse. Now I see that the payments to wife were over 2 quarters, and the 941 is for 1 quarter. There is Virginia tax withheld, Federal tax withheld, and I have no idea whether or not Virginia was paid. I see the 941 for Federal that reflects only FICA paid.

geeeeez....
    Last edited by Possi; 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Since it's his wife, and the amounts are small, and assuming they're filing a joint return, why not just prepare a w-2 that conforms to the 941 and be done with it? There won't be any penalty for the late W-2.

If there's any difference between the gross and net (after withholdings), just treat it as misc erroneous withholding and refund it to her by writing a check to her now.

Then give him a firm slap on the back of his head and tell him never to do this sort of nonsense again.
    Last edited by JohnH; 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

done!

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      Since it's his wife, and the amounts are small, and assuming they're filing a joint return, why not just prepare a w-2 that conforms to the 941 and be done with it? There won't be any penalty for the late W-2.

If there's any difference between the gross and net (after withholdings), just treat it as misc erroneous withholding and refund it to her by writing a check to her now.

Then give him a firm slap on the back of his head and tell him never to do this sort of nonsense again.
      Call it "done" and not necessarily in that order...

Thanks
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

[QUOTE=JohnH;126010]Since it's his wife, and the amounts are small, and assuming they're filing a joint return, why not just prepare a w-2 that conforms to the 941 and be done with it? There won't be any penalty for the late W-2.
        QUOTE]

There is a penalty for late filing a W-2 and the IRS is issuing those penalty notices.

I am currently working on one, trying to get the penalty abated, but the IRS is very stiff on this one. And in this case the client mailed the W-2's in and SSA didn't receive them. Since it was over a year before SSA and the IRS matched up, the IRS assessed the 10% of the gross penalty. All employees did file returns with their copies of the W-2.
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

H-m-m. First time I've heard of them assessing penalties on late W-2's, except for the civil penalty when somebody ignores several notices. Maybe it's because they had to chase the info down???

In any case I don' think it matters, because a 941 has already been filed. May as well 'fess up and send in the W-2, regardless of what happens next. I looked up the penalty, and I think Possi's client is only facing a $60 penalty at most (see page 7 in the attached).l I think exception 2 applies, so we're back to zero if I'm reading it correctly.

Also, I don't see a 10% of gross penalty for your client. The most I see is $100 per form for basic negligence, unless he comes under the $250 per form category. Not sure I'd want to be involved in one of those...
          Last edited by JohnH; 09-28-2011, 04:29 PM.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
          X