Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping up....

Hey all,

So, in our down time, what sources do all of you use to stay up with tax, accounting and business news/information? What blogs/websites/newsletters are the best to keep us informed of all the new information?

I like this one...
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Sources

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      I like this one...
      And from a distant corner...... AMEN !!

FE

Comment

No Downtime

Downtime - I wish for every year and every year it seems to become less.
        I still have 10/15 returns on extensions, order supplies, re-organize my office and get ready for all of "those W-2 filings and 1099 filings" in January.

As far as staying current on tax news , same tried and true - TMI, NAEA, local EA Chapter, Accountants World, and a couple of others - most seem to arrive daily or weekly on email - I am sure there are other reliable sources as well.

Sandy

Comment

Interesting Note

One of the email subscriptions I received from Accounting Today - stated a California Tax Preparer was sentenced to 30 MONTHS prison time for consipiracy to defraud the US after he was found using the Social Security numbers of deceased persons and stolen employer identification information - aprrox 250 returns -

A $ 2M tax refund scheme - so 30 months and $ 258K in restitituion --- REALLY! - I would have thought this would carry a higher sentence??? - Pleaded out for lesser! Federal charge and conviction - so is able to be a guest of the "Federal" system at Lompoc or some other facility - and treated like a "king" on vacation. Someone should have let California process and he could be in a Calif prison where it is not so "comfortable"

Wonder if this is another reason for licensing of Tax Preparerer's and Background Checks as if that will do any good

Sandy
          Last edited by S T; 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I try to read this board every day. I don't always post anything but I try to read every post so I can learn from them.

Sandy covered most I use too.....NAEA e@lerts, e-News for Tax Professionals from IRS, ncpefellowship newsletters, local chapter meetings and a seminar or two.

Linda, EA

Comment

I also frequent the Unofficial ATX Community. In spite of its name, it is a good resource for both ATX users and users of other software. Much of the discussion is of a general nature (not ATX-specific), and the REALLY nice thing about that forum is that it is user-funded. Since we pay for it ourselves, we are a truly independent group. I think the moderators do a very good job of keeping the flaming to a minimum while allowing free exchange of ideas.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I like these boards as well....but Accountants World sends regular emails on all accounting updates and news....the NAEA and the NATP also send regular/weekly email updates as well as paper publications that keep me well informed.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                  I try to read this board every day. I don't always post anything but I try to read every post so I can learn from them.

Sandy covered most I use too.....NAEA e@lerts, e-News for Tax Professionals from IRS, ncpefellowship newsletters, local chapter meetings and a seminar or two.

Linda, EA
                  Oh yeah....forgot about e@lerts and e-News from the IRS.....that's great info.

Comment

Agree

I do all those things too, read all those e-newsletters. Also, check to see what email subscriptions, training tips, webinars, etc., your own software has available. And, your state or states that you prepare regularly.

Comment

Since I have to have 30 CPE's per year, that's two 16 hour seminars per year; one in May and the other later, some time. This year in Dillard,GA (NATP) where I was joined by some guy called himself Snaggletooth. Just got back about 45 minutes ago.
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

That must have been some seminar with the 2 of you there together. What did you learn?

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                          One of the email subscriptions I received from Accounting Today - stated a California Tax Preparer was sentenced to 30 MONTHS prison time for consipiracy to defraud the US after he was found using the Social Security numbers of deceased persons and stolen employer identification information - aprrox 250 returns -

A $ 2M tax refund scheme - so 30 months and $ 258K in restitituion --- REALLY! - I would have thought this would carry a higher sentence???
                          When the papers quote something like a $2M tax refund scheme, I usually take that to be the total amount paid out to all of the taxpayers, including any amounts to which they're actually entitled (assuming those dead SSNs were used as dependents or child care providers, and not primary taxpayers), and not the amount kept by the instigator of the fraud. Also, isn't it possible that there are unreported civil penalties on top of the criminal fines, as well as a prohibition against any future tax preparation work?

But your point is well taken. It's questionable whether the leniency usually accorded to white collar crime goes too far, and whether plea bargains result in effective punishments.

Comment

We (HRB) preparers get the mostly-weekly newsletter of Block's Tax Research Institute. At the risk of a shameless plug, I believe the newsletter is available to the public for free (or perhaps it's just a free trial subscription). See http://www.thetaxinstitute.com/ .

The usual employee but this are just my opinion and not official statement disclaimers apply.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                              That must have been some seminar with the 2 of you there together. What did you learn?

Linda, EA
                              ROTFLOL! I wish you hadn't asked me that.

One thing I learned is that the Dillard House (the hotel) desserts are really sumptious!
                              Tasty. rich. full of calories. Very good!
                              ChEAr$,
                              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                              X