Extension Form 2688

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instructions

Thanks, Gene. It's always a good idea to read the instructions! Well, I didn't have POA either and my head is still on my neck. This post will make me a member now.

Comment

CPA or EA

You don't necessarily have to be an enrolled agent or a CPA to sign the 2688.

A person with a close personal or business relationship can sign for the client, as long as there is a letter attached explaining why the client couldn't sign. Example: illness or absence.

Comment

I just had quite a battle with this one. The IRS says you must have a clients signature or attach an explanation as to why they can't sign. This is the link to the reg.

Checkpoint brings together the most trusted information on the most powerful tax research system available. Checkpoint provides expert guidance, a powerful system to optimize research efficiency, practice development tools to help build revenue and the flexibility and integration that has revolutionized tax and accounting research.

We didn't get acceptance from the KC service center for an extension. When the client filed a balance due return they got hit with a failure to file penalty. We got the penalty dropped only because the IRS acknowledged receipt but failed to reject the 2688.

Since the 2688 is going away it won't matter but I thought is was a strange way to handle it.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
        X