X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you posted this

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
    My neck and back hurt soooooo bad.
    Me, too. I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in my neck. I am going to physical therapy, getting massage and some kind of mild shock therapy. They help. Learning some exercises and stretching that will help, too.

BUT, I have to say - I purchased a $350 neck traction device that is helping more than anything else. I use it several times a day. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Perhaps a nice cookie will help.
    Yes, you can't go wrong there, either.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I've had neck traction too. It's wierd to think but IT FEELS SO GOOD!!! I have degenerated vertebrae in my neck. Unfortunately, all the damage done to our bodies in our youth comes back to haunt us in our middle age. At least for me, that's the case. Car wrecks, knees banged up from falls.....all seemed to heal with no problems in my teens & early twenties, but came back to haunt me in my thirties. Now I'm just trying to play catch up and keep myself patched together in my 50's.

Comment

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
        I've got back & shoulder pain too. One thing I did was replace my desk chair with a big excercise ball. I was having sciatica along with the neck & shoulders, and the ball nipped that in the bud. It also helps build your core muscles while you sit. Or if happy you can bounce

I also have a hot tub. Now if it will just get cool again, I'll be able to use it (after a summer with high temps in the 80's it hit 100 yesterday. go figure).

How big is the exercise ball? I have one but it seems way to small.

I could just see me rolling off the ball with my hot coffee

Comment

mine is really big, 30". It lets me sit at desk chair height (or a little higher) and it kind of forces good posture. I can slouch, but I have to try, rather than having to try to sit up straight as I would in a chair.

Comment

Rolling Along

Dear Joan: I went and bought a 65cm exercise ball.

Ok, so I am sitting on it. So far it is OK. It is a bit difficult to turn and do things as I stick to the ball and have to lift up a little and turn.

No problem with falling off or anything like that.

My office is set up so I swivel and turn a lot so this is a difficulity. I seem to be slouching in this ball as there is nothing for my back to lean against. Oh well, I can always bounce up and down!

Bob

Comment

I've been wearing shorts or short skirts, and my legs have been sticking to the ball, but with the cool weather approaching, it shouldn't be a problem soon. One problem is that if I stand up to pick something off the printer, it rolls backwards and I have to chase it; don't want to sit back down and miss it. But my office is set up with most of what I need to key a return at hand, and I usually would have to stand up to get something anyhow.

Make sure the ball is inflated enough to get you in the proper posture. I have to reinflate it every once in a while. Oh and bouncing will help your legs and abs! And attitude.

Comment

Ball Chair

The owner of the Curves where I work out has a big ball CHAIR. The ball is in the frame of a small chair with a bit of a back. The ball/chair doesn't roll away on its own. I think she found it online.

Comment

sticking and rolling

The particular type of clothing may contribute to the sticking. A polyester-rayon may not cling as much as jeans for example.

Some of these balls are sold with a little sand in them to keep them from rolling.

I will probably do nothing but if I tire of rounding up my chair I would put a little sand or maybe cat litter in it to keep it in place. I do have a lot more area behind my desk with the ball. Most of the time it rolls under the desk and is invisible.

I have seen the "ball in a chair" but I wanted to try the ball by itself. So far it is not bad and you do get used to it. I tend to bounce while waiting for the computer or printing so this may be a form of exercise.

Comment

I'll actually shove it under my desk a week bit to put it in 'storage' when not at my desk. It wedges quite nicely under my keyboard tray, which also keeps the tray under the desk and the cats off of it.

Comment

For what it's worth, my local Relax the Back store has a large variety of chairs, including both traditional desk chairs and the inflated ball/chair combo that Lion mentions. They also have some spring-base bar stools that are fun to sit on.

The selection may vary. My understanding is that the franchisees or local managers have some leeway in ordering products that aren't made under the Relax the Back label.

Comment

Stand-Up Desk

Of course, even better than sitting with good posture is standing. Stand-up desks are all the rage now. Bing returned pages of links. Sitting is the worst thing you can do to your back, in normal daily activities anyway. Laying flat on your back is best, but not very productive. Standing is better and lets you work.

When I had one of my back injuries while at a company where I had a computer desk/hutch next to my desk, I just stood as much as I could using the top shelf on the computer hutch as my desk. I took the hutch off my desk in my current office last winter. Wish I still had it on as I could put my wireless keyboard and mouse on the top shelf and stand up.

Comment

Tried the Salonpas patch without much hope, and it works!

Very smelly, though

Comment

Love the aroma and the relief

You might not like the odor - but I find it soothing - after the first hour you shouldn't notice.

and oh- the relief! from the patches.

I also said, try them you will like them, just have to be a little careful if you are allergic to adhesive - so I move them around from day to day - and don't put them in the same spot twice day to day.

Glad they are working for you

Tax season is over - so I believe we could all use a trip to the Chrio and the Spa and very much needed time OFF!

Sandy

Comment

TMJ and back pain

Well, the pain between my shoulder blades was chronic until about 2 weeks ago. Tried everything - chiropractor, patches, posture changes, meds, etc. Nothing worked and it would be so bad some days that I would actually cry.

And then....

I got a mouth guard from my dentist (I grind my teeth in my sleep). The pain in my back went away almost immediately. The chiropractor and Dr. Internet both say that TMJ can cause upper back pain.

Feeling much better (finally!), and thought I'd share this info

Comment

Well, the pain between my shoulder blades was chronic until about 2 weeks ago. Tried everything - chiropractor, patches, posture changes, meds, etc. Nothing worked and it would be so bad some days that I would actually cry.

And then....

I got a mouth guard from my dentist (I grind my teeth in my sleep). The pain in my back went away almost immediately. The chiropractor and Dr. Internet both say that TMJ can cause upper back pain.

Feeling much better (finally!), and thought I'd share this info
                                Glad to hear it, Hoff -- tough luck that it took 'em a couple of years to catch on (they could have mentioned it (about the TMJ) a little earlier though, couldn't they? Thanx for the tip anyway -- next time I get down in my back, I'm headin' for the dentist jiffy-quick .

Comment

Working...
                                X