Specifications for Tax Return Preparer Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specifications for Tax Return Preparer Test

IRS posted these specifications last week.

A little confusing

Taken from the data from the IRS web page the link take you to.

"Approximately 730,000 return preparers have registered and received PTINs in 2011. Approximately 62 percent do not have professional credentials. The IRS does not yet know how many preparers will fall into other exempt categories, but those individuals will be required to identify themselves when they renew an existing PTIN or obtain a new PTIN beginning in October 2011"

A little confusing, 62% of the 730K newly PTIN's for 2011 do not have designations or ???.

I know an EA who plans to take the RTP exam. Her thoughts, she is still running in to trouble convincing prospects the value of an EA and she thinks the RTP designation in itself may catch on. I have to agree with her to extent. I am guessing the HRB, JH etc. will have their people take this easier test.

Comment

would like to clear up image AZ has of HRB preparers. when i worked for HRB from 1980 to 1996 we had 14 weeks classes twice a week for three hours each and homework that took another 3 hours for each class. and when we were through we had to pass a test with grade of 80 or better. when they introduced computers in early 1990's we had additional 6 hours on how to do a tax return on computer.
      I don't know what their requirements are now, but i'm sure they didn't lower their expectations.

Comment

HRB plans

I know that Block is preparing for the new test--getting materials ready (printed and online) and encouraging preparers to take the test after the upcoming season when their new study materials will be ready. Also, in recent years they have been encouraging all preparers to take the EA test. They have online courses which are free to their employees and they pay the cost of the tests (after passed) and the EA application and renewal fees. In my district many preparers have become EAs in recent years and many more are working toward it. (This is much different than when I started working for them in the late 1990s when there was no encouragement to become an EA and I didn't even know of anyone who was an EA. Now there are usually several in each office in my district.)

So...I think they are working on getting their preparers ready at both levels. Becoming an EA is not a realistic goal for all preparers, especially part-time, seasonal employees, unless (like me) they just want to meet a personal goal.

Comment

Working...
        X