Hurricane Irene Disaster Relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurricane Irene Disaster Relief

IRS and some states including NJ and NY issued notice of relief to the victims of Hurricane Irene disaster area. Relief also extends to return filing deadline to 10/31/2011.

Question:
    Does any taxpayer/entity/corporation located in the declared disaster area gets the extension thru 10/31/2011.
    or
    Besides being in the disaster area, TP/Entity/Corporation must also be physically affected by the hurricane that the individual or business cannot function normally.

How do you define affected by Hurricane for the purpose of extended due date to 10/31/2011.

CT, too

NY, NJ, CT, and other states have had ALL deadlines extended to 31 October for residents, including business entities. For business entities that were not in a Hurricane state but use a preparer who is in a Hurricane state, returns are extended to 22 October, but not estimated payments, etc.

Federal Tax Day - Current,I.1IRS Provides Tax Relief to Victims of Hurricane Irene (IR-2011-87, NC-2011-58, NJ-2011-42, NY-2011-34), (Sep. 6, 2011)

Electronic filing is still scheduled to end 17 October for 2010 returns.
    Last edited by Lion; 09-12-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Feds just should have extended the deadline for all 9/15/11 (at least) with so much going on with Mother Nature across the country right now ----I am having an issue with discerning this as well.

I have my physical presence in NC as a "preparer" , but preparing a California Client Return. My county was in the disaster area named.

So Calif State aside for now - Does Fed grant the relief of the 9/15/11 filing for Entities, such as SCorp-Partnership- Form 1041)??? since I the preparer am in a Federal declared Disaster Area?

Not that I am going to take advantage of this - I am just having a difficult time in understanding what is and what is not included for the filing delay.

Sandy

Comment

Entities

Before CT received the official disaster designation and IRS delayed deadlines, I did read that if the preparer is in a hurricane area even though the entity is not, then the 15 October deadline is postponed for a week to 22 October.

Just received the following email from our IRS liaison. The notices have a lot of details. Maybe there's a corresponding one for NC.

Here is some information regarding tax relief (extending filing deadlines, etc) for those taxpayers in Connecticut and New York impacted by the hurricane. If you would please forward the following link to your members I would appreciate it. Detailed information related to the hurricane relief can be found at:
        Connecticut http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...245230,00.html
        New York http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=245000,00.html

Comment

09/22/2011

As per IRS notification IR-2011-88, Sept. 1,2011

IRS gives ONE-WEEK filing extension to taxpayers whose PREPARERS were affected by Hurricane Irene until SEPTEMBER 22 for returns normally due Sept. 15.

For additional information please see IRS homepage.

Comment

Working...
          X