Special Alabama Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Alabama Tax

One of my clients, an Alabama employer, has been assessed with an additional payroll tax for 2010. If I understand it, here is what happened.

Although we normally think of FUTA in terms of 0.8% employer tax, the true rate is 6.2% with a credit of (normally) 5.4% for any amount paid to SUTA under the same base. The SUTA in every state is governed, at least to some extent, by the FUTA law.

The law permits states to borrow from the Feds to cover unemployment benefits. If a state fails to pay the Fed back, then the employer is not entitled to the full 5.4% credit.

SOOOOOO... in 2010 Alabama borrows money from the Fed, and pays the money back, but LATE. Fed assesses interest expense upon the State of Alabama. Now Alabama is assessing Alabama employers to pay for this interest that they had to pay. We are told this is a one-time charge for the calendar year 2010 (as if it will never happen again).

My client is only being assessed $43, so it will be paid. However, he is furious that the state is able to push the results of their miserable management down onto Alabama employers. My question: Can they really do this?

FYI, Alabama does have some very large employers, GM parts (Saginaw) in Decatur, Mercedes in Tuscaloosa, Pratt/Whitney in Mobile, etc. I'll almost betcha these huge employers tell the State to take a long walk off a short plank.
    Last edited by Golden Rocket; 08-24-2011, 01:11 PM.

Yes, they can. I paid it, my clients paid it, and all employers will because the unemployment rate went up.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

CT, too

CT, too, is assessing employers to pay for their borrowing from the feds for the last few years.

Comment

TN too

Last year TN raised both the wage limit from $7000 to $9000 and "temporarily" added .6%.

Comment

Special tax

I attended a seminar yesterday, IRS, OK Tax Commission and Ok Unemployment Commission. The lady from the Unemployment Commission told us that Oklahoma was one of eight states that so far had not had to borrow from the feds because of excess unemployment payouts.

Comment

Two Separate Factors

As I see it, there are two separate levels of the problem:

1) Virtually none of the states were prepared for Obama extending the 26-week benefit limit to 39 weeks, and then even longer. The states had to react by raising not only the SUTA rates but also bases. I'm not aware of a single state that didn't do this.

2) Even after raising rates/bases, states still ran out of money and had to borrow from the Feds. Failure to pay the money BACK to the Fed jeopardizes the SUTA credit taken against the FUTA. This has happened to numerous states in the past.

If I read the Alabama problem correctly, they did have to borrow money but managed to pay it back. The assessment in the OP is for the interest on the borrowed money.

Comment

Florida too

Florida employers had to pay the state for the funds they borrowed from the federal government. All my employers complained but for them it was a small amount and they paid it.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post

1) Virtually none of the states were prepared for Obama extending the 26-week benefit limit to 39 weeks, and then even longer. The states had to react by raising not only the SUTA rates but also bases. I'm not aware of a single state that didn't do this.
                As for Alabama, the rate was raised effective 1/1/11, but as far as I know, the wage base is still $ 8,000.
                ChEAr$,
                Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                X