Roth IRA Taxable ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roth IRA Taxable ?

A 51 year old taxpayer opened up a Roth IRA in June, 1999 and has been putting $100 a month into it up until August, 2005. In September, 2005 she withdrew the total value (balance) of $3,800 and the brokerage firm deducted $380 for federal withholding and said it was an early withdrawal with no exceptions. Does she have to include the $3,800 in her income and does she have to pay the 10% penalty? She owned the Roth for five years and had no previous withdrawals.

Roth IRA basis

What is her basis in the account? After 5 years from your original contribution you can withdraw any contributions tax-free, so if she put in at least $3800, the withdrawal is not taxable. If she put in more than $3800 and withdrew the entire amount of her Roth IRAs, she has a loss, deductible on Sch. A, subject to the 2% limit on misc. deductions.

Comment

It shouldn't matter what her basis is in regards to taxable income since all distributions are tax free once the 5-year requirement is met.

Comment

$100 a month contributions from June 1999 to August 2005 equals $7,500 in contributions. Since Roth contributions are not deductible, her basis equals $7,500. If her total balance in August 2005 was $3,800, none of the withdrawal is taxable or subject to the 10% penalty.

Are you sure it is a Roth IRA? Why would the brokerage firm let her withhold $380 in federal taxes when they should know none of it would be taxable?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriele
          It shouldn't matter what her basis is in regards to taxable income since all distributions are tax free once the 5-year requirement is met.
          Not unless she is over age 59 1/2. She was only 57 in August 2005.

Comment

Bees, I looked in TTB before I posted because I thought of the age limit. I couldn't find anything in TTB and assumed I was mistaken.

Comment

TTB, page 13-5, "Qualified distributions are tax free if the participant has held a Roth IRA for five years, and it is due to:
              a) The participant is over age 59 1/2,
              b) Death or disability of participant, or
              c) Qualified first time home buyer.

Comment

Working...
              X