X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Business Credit

Discussion:GENERAL BUSINESS CREDIT

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
    Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

Discussion Forum Index --> Basic Tax Questions --> GENERAL BUSINESS CREDIT

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> GENERAL BUSINESS CREDIT

PAULHA (talk|edits) said:

20 August 2011

I have a client that is a 1/3 partner in an Eligble Small Business partnership. The first year of the partnership was 2009.
    The t/p's return for 2010 has been extended due to the fact the K-1 was not ready. The other day I received the final K-1 for the year 2010 and this year the partnership is eligble for the R&D credit and the amount passed through to the t/p is $9,000. This is the only business credit passed through to the t/p for 2010. There were no general business credits passed through for 2009.

I have determined the taxable income that is attributable to the partner's interest in the partnership. Based upon my calculation the partner has an unused general business credit of $6,225 for 2010.

I have read the Form 3800 instructions and applicable code sections regarding the general business credit. Based upon my understanding the t/p can carryback the unused credit to 2009 and apply it to the partners attributable taxable income tax for that year via a Form 1040X.Is my thought process correct here????

I am a small sole practitioner and this is my first experience with the general business credit and the carryback provision-want to get it right.

Thank you in advance

Tax Pro Reply to discussion:

Summary:
    Watch this discussion

Categories: Basic Tax Questions | Tax Questions

Discussion
    Edit this page
    History
    Move
    Bookmark this page

PAULHA
    My talk
    My preferences
    My watchlist
    My contributions
    Log out

Navigation

Main Page
    Discussion Forums
    Research Resources
    Start new Article
    Community portal
    Current events
    Recent changes
    Help
    Advanced Search

Search

Help

Toolbox

What links here
    Related changes
    Upload file
    Special pages
    Printable version
    Permanent link

Discussion Forums

All Topics
    Acctg. Questions
    Bus. Growth
    Categorization
    General Chat
    Tax Tips
    Tax Questions
    Feedback
    Test Area
    Introductions

Intuit Resources

ProSeries Tax Software
    Lacerte Professional Tax Preparation Software
    QuickBooks Products for Accountants
    Tax & Accounting Software Training
    Tax Practice Management Tools
    Newsletter for Accounting & Tax Professionals

This page was last modified on 20 August 2011, at 18:40.
    This page has been accessed 17 times.

Privacy policy
    About TaxAlmanac
    Disclaimers

Okay, my head hurts again. What was that?
    JG

Comment

Her Question

I have a client that is a 1/3 partner in an Eligble Small Business partnership. The first year of the partnership was 2009. The t/p's return for 2010 has been extended due to the fact the K-1 was not ready. The other day I received the final K-1 for the year 2010 and this year the partnership is eligble for the R&D credit and the amount passed through to the t/p is $9,000. This is the only business credit passed through to the t/p for 2010. There were no general business credits passed through for 2009.

I have determined the taxable income that is attributable to the partner's interest in the partnership. Based upon my calculation the partner has an unused general business credit of $6,225 for 2010.

I have read the Form 3800 instructions and applicable code sections regarding the general business credit. Based upon my understanding the t/p can carryback the unused credit to 2009 and apply it to the partners attributable taxable income tax for that year via a Form 1040X.Is my thought process correct here????

I am a small sole practitioner and this is my first experience with the general business credit and the carryback provision-want to get it right.

Thank you in advance

Comment

Working...
      X