Military dependent care question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military dependent care question

Single parent was deployed to Afghanistan. Parent had to fly dependent child to relatives home to stay while she was away. Child is age 14. Would any of her expenses be deductable? i.e. travel to relatives home? Expenses paid to relatives to care for child? Any other expenses that might occur in the future since she will be deployed again and he is age 14 and he legally can not stay at home alone in my state till he is 16.
    Thanks for any help.

If she is paying relatives for his support are they filing a Sch C? I would look at this as temp home for the child otherwise, depending on her time away (more than 6 months) something would have to be decided as to whether the relatives would be taking the child as a dependent on their return and whether they should be declaring the money as income.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Otherwise

I would see this as a stretch to have any "deductible" expenses getting child to new home. Using something like a Schedule C for the parents seems an even larger stretch.

Or are you trying to come up with some way to file a Form 2441 ??

Remember the parent (as a military person) can definitely still claim the dependent ("temporary absence" works well with the military) and probably maintains a fair chance at keeping head of household status....gotta read the fine print on those specific rules.

FE

Comment

I tried to "google" but could not come up with much.

As far as tax deductions - I don't believe so, other than the normal dependent exemption, child tax credit, etc, but maybe she should consult with Military to see if there are some assistance benefits she can apply for to assist for the caregiving of her minor child.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by EA Carol View Post
          Single parent was deployed to Afghanistan. Parent had to fly dependent child to relatives home to stay while she was away. Child is age 14. Would any of her expenses be deductable? i.e. travel to relatives home? Expenses paid to relatives to care for child? Any other expenses that might occur in the future since she will be deployed again and he is age 14 and he legally can not stay at home alone in my state till he is 16.
          Thanks for any help.
          None deductible; all personal expenses.

There used to be a saying in the military - "If the government wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one." Same goes for children.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
          X