Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing from a calendar year to fiscal year, Non Profit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing from a calendar year to fiscal year, Non Profit.

According to Form 1128 (application to adopt, change or retain a tax year), under exempt organizations on the first page, it states that "an organization exempt under section 501(a) does not file form 1128......"

Section 501(a) states that it is an organization described in subsection (c) or (d).....so this would also cover 501(c)(3)'s? Am I reading this right? And if so, does that mean that a 501(c)(3) doesn't have to file a form 1128 to change its fiscal year?

Thanks,

Any help?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Comment

I'm no expert, but since no one else has responded, I suggest looking at the instructions for Form 990, under Accounting Periods. The way I read it, if this is the first time it's being changed (or first in over 10 years), then you just mark "Change of Accounting Period" at the top of the short-year 990. If not, you need the 1128.

If you're filing one of the variations of the 990, or a form other than the 990 series, check the instructions for that particular variation or form.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
        I'm no expert, but since no one else has responded, I suggest looking at the instructions for Form 990, under Accounting Periods. The way I read it, if this is the first time it's being changed (or first in over 10 years), then you just mark "Change of Accounting Period" at the top of the short-year 990. If not, you need the 1128.

If you're filing one of the variations of the 990, or a form other than the 990 series, check the instructions for that particular variation or form.
        I'm kinda of reading it the same way....It's form 990 and is their first time it's being changed.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X