IRS Info re testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Info re testing

I attended an IRS Seminar where discussion topics included PTINs and the IRS testing program. I learned a few things that some of you might find useful.

1. Beginning 09/11, applicants for PTINs will be subject to tax compliance checks (i.e., have they filed their own tax returns, paid taxes or have a payment plan!)

2. Competency testng will begin 10/11 at Prometric testing centers; estimated fee $100-$125. The original plan was to have 2 levels of testing for preparers of 1040s but that has been changed to only one level. Additional tests for other returns (e.g., payroll, 1120s, etc.) might follow at a later date.

3. Beginning in 10/11, besides passing competency test, IRS will be requiring background checks which will require submission of fingerprints through an IRS-approved vendor (Prometric testing centers and UPS Store are the approved ones at the present), estimated fee $60-$90. [Not required for attorneys, CPAs or EAs.]

4. Beginning in 2012, "Registered Tax Return Preparers" will have to complete 15 continuing education hours per year from approved providers.

Renewal season for PTINs will begin in October and all PTINs will be for a calendar year. For those of us who are CPAs, attorneys and EAs, that is all we have to do. Yeah!

Originally posted by origun View Post
    2. Competency testng will begin 10/11 at Prometric testing centers; estimated fee $100-$125. The original plan was to have 2 levels of testing for preparers of 1040s but that has been changed to only one level. Additional tests for other returns (e.g., payroll, 1120s, etc.) might follow at a later date.
    Regarding the testing, I was at a recent seminar and the word from the IRS is that there is going to only be one test, on the 1040, and that there will not be any test for the business entities.

So, if you pass this test, you can prepare any return, even those you are not qualified to prepare.

What a waste of a promising idea to eliminate bad preparers.

Personally, I think any return that is marked "self prepared" and includes EIC should be reviewed before releasing the large refund.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
    X