Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFile Question

Hello all,

this is embarrassing. While i was learning a new software in 2010 I SENT a 1040 return. But the return was never accepted by the IRS. My error.

How to fix?

I have signed 8879s. Can i just send the paper returns?

Thanks again for all your help in the past.
    Great forum.

Originally posted by tacks View Post
    Hello all,

this is embarrassing. While i was learning a new software in 2010 I SENT a 1040 return. But the return was never accepted by the IRS. My error.

How to fix?

I have signed 8879s. Can i just send the paper returns?

Thanks again for all your help in the past.
    Great forum.
    Yep, it happens to the best of us. (grin

Mail the return in along with the original signed forms to the applicable service center.
    naturally if there was a refund, there is no problem on the federal one at least. Your state may differ.

However if there was a balance due, was it paid by client?
    Or.... was it your own return? (grin
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thank you!!!! Love this forum!!! Quick answers!!!

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      Mail the return in along with the original signed forms to the applicable service center. naturally if there was a refund, there is no problem on the federal one at least. Your state may differ.

However if there was a balance due, was it paid by client? (grin
      Balance due was paid by client by check.

Wheeww!! One less thing to worry about.

Comment

Efile question

Why was it not accepted by the IRS, no match between SSN - Name, birthdate, EIN ?
        Fix that before you mail the return.

Comment

Originally posted by tacks View Post
          Thank you!!!! Love this forum!!! Quick answers!!!

Balance due was paid by client by check.

Wheeww!! One less thing to worry about.
          Course the return is late now.. so penalties/interest to tack on to the return....

Why was it rejected and why did you not want to efile it?

Chris

Comment

Why not just fix it and resend it?

You have until October 15 to e-file. If taxpayer has paid up, there should be no problem.
            Last edited by appelman; 08-16-2011, 02:07 PM. Reason: To take account of prior post
            Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

If the reason why it rejected can be fixed, I think I would just resend the return.

But you might have to get the taxpayers to sign new 8879's because of the difference in the dates. I don't know.....just wondering.

Linda, EA

Comment

I don't think anyone will care about the date.

So long as it is obvious that you're not deliberately stockpiling returns.
                Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                  If the reason why it rejected can be fixed, I think I would just resend the return.

But you might have to get the taxpayers to sign new 8879's because of the difference in the dates. I don't know.....just wondering.

Linda, EA
                  FYI don't know if this is correct but when I get a reject I just staple the ori signed 8879 to the new one along with the reject report and file it away. The only time I have the client sign the new one is if the figures have changed.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I agree w/ Linda

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post

Linda, EA
                    Unless there's a reason it can't be efiled I would go that route. I'd be inclined to get a reprinted 8879 signed or have them re-date and initial the original 8879. Not sure but if no new date would it be considered "stock-piling"?

There's still be a late filing penalty but that's based on what they owe which if return was correct and payment sent would be a % of zero = zero. State might still assess a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie View Post
                      Unless there's a reason it can't be efiled I would go that route. I'd be inclined to get a reprinted 8879 signed or have them re-date and initial the original 8879. Not sure but if no new date would it be considered "stock-piling"?

There's still be a late filing penalty but that's based on what they owe which if return was correct and payment sent would be a % of zero = zero. State might still assess a charge.
                      If it's going to be considered stockpiling, then either re-dating the original or having the taxpayers sign a new 8879 isn't going to change that. If anything, it could be perceived as an attempt to evade stockpiling charges by changing the paperwork.

The date on the 8879 may be useful of evidence of stockpiling, but I don't think it's conclusive. For example, couldn't you get the 8879 signed and dated, received payment, and still be waiting for the client to return with the signed 8332 to attach to the 8453 before e-filing the return?

Comment

Tacks, Did you just never receive the acceptance, as if the return was NEVER transmitted thru your software( I receive a transmission report from my software) ???

Or you received the Transmission report, (submitted to Software Processing) but just Never received the Acknowledgement that IRS/State received??? Or you never received a "Rejection"????

If you have a transmission report to Software Processing - and the Software Processing dropped the "ball" maybe it was filed, (you didn't receive the acknowledgement of filing) or maybe you can discuss with the Software Processing?

Could make a difference on whether or not the return is considered filed Late. The actual return will be considred late filed as of 4/15/ (4/18/11) even if the payment was paid. (I think)

Sandy

Comment

Two things.

1. Note the OP said he transmitted the return but it was never accepted by IRS. That doesn't mean it was rejected necessarily. I took it to mean it was a software glitch and he just thought it was transmitted.

2. As long as client paid balance due before deadline, the late filed return will not cause any penalties.
                          ChEAr$,
                          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                          X