This is odd, ever seen this before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is odd, ever seen this before?

Amending a new clients form 1040 for 2009. I notice that two 1099-R's were not reported on orginal tax return even thou amts in box 2a. CP24 letter dated May 2010 from IRS just stated there was an additional refund that the taxpayer over paid. Did not mention any thing about the missing 1099-R's. Will be contacting the TP to see if an addition letter was issued by IRS. Since 1099-R's are copied to the IRS, I would find it hard to believe that the IRS would have missed this.

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Amending a new clients form 1040 for 2009. I notice that two 1099-R's were not reported on orginal tax return even thou amts in box 2a. CP24 letter dated May 2010 from IRS just stated there was an additional refund that the taxpayer over paid. Did not mention any thing about the missing 1099-R's. Will be contacting the TP to see if an addition letter was issued by IRS. Since 1099-R's are copied to the IRS, I would find it hard to believe that the IRS would have missed this.
    I include 1099's and back them out if they are not taxable income but some preparers don't include them at all. Is the income taxable on these 1099's? If so you may want to tell your client not to deposit or cash the IRS refund check and send it back with an amended return. If the IRS hasn't figured it out yet you can be sure they will. Your client should appreciate your saving him/her the likely penalties and further interest.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

One possibility

I might look around for some federal/state withholding, especially on the referenced (unreported) Forms 1099-R.

Such can lurk in many places, to include a rollover that was not, ah, "direct."

How about a "forgotten" W2 ??

After that initial easy hunt, the solution becomes more complicated so a transcript request may be in order.

FE

Comment

Working...
      X