Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S corp health insurance

S Corporation. Only completing 1040.

Corporation pays health insurance and is included on W2. I know to take deduction for SE health insurance on front of 1040 but does this also decrease self-employed income for Form SE.

Also does it make a difference if corp is eligible small business entitled to ESB health insurance credit.

Forget above. Was not thinking early this morning.
    Last edited by Earl; 07-11-2011, 09:52 AM.

How is this SE insurance?

Isn't it being paid for an employee of the corp?
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

It's a situation unique to S-Corporation shareholder/employees whose health insurance is paid by the corp. The premiums must be added to gross income on the W-2 and then deducted in the same manner as Medical Insurance premiums for self-employed people on the 1040.

It's a bit of a round-about process, but it prevents a situation wherein there are unequal distributions which could invalidate the S-corp election when there are multiple shareholders.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Live and learn!

Fascinating! But there would be no self-employment tax involved unless Earl's shareholder/employee has SE income from some other source. If the latter is true, it does raise an interesting question. I would think that the deduction for this "quasi-SE" insurance would not reduce the SE tax attributable to another source, but I wonder if the issue has been specifically addressed.
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Wasn't thinking when I posted early this morning. I knew there was on self-employed income and so no self-employment tax to deduct the health premiums from. Dumb!!!!!

Comment

Post before coffee at your own risk

Comment

(there are 4 of those for a very good reason)
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
              X