Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News from NATP

Inputting W-2s for ITINs
    The IRS has announced that for filing season 2012 it is required to manually key entry the Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) as it appears on Form W-2. This means software providers are not allowed to auto-populate the TIN on Form W-2 input sheets.

What do you think this means?

IRS regards tax preparers as data entry clerks?
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Errors in TINs

Probably a knee-jerk reaction by the IRS to certain errors that have been propogated when employers provide wrong social security #s or a variety of possibilities resulting from keypunch errors. Remember a good software package will intercept a bad SS#.

And the IRS darling of self-prepared returns, TurboTax, is now allowing the users to "Scan" the W-2 and save the user the trouble of having to input. Another possible source of bad SS#s.

Causing the preparer to keypunch this stuff in will lead to just as many errors as before.

Comment

Dual Numbers

When you set up or roll forward a return, the taxpayer's SS# or ITIN is populated in several places, including every W-2 you assign to that person. However, if he/she worked under a phoney SSN, then the # on the W-2 will not be the person's ITIN. You must make the W-2 info in the return match the W-2 from the employer and not allow the software to populate the ITIN when it was not used on the W-2.

Comment

I don't like it, but probably not a bad idea. I have had people were the SS on the W-2 was typed wrong, Income Tax no problem. BUT they did not get credit for their wages with Social Security.

Comment

Follow Up

In the past when I found a W-2 with an incorrect SS #, usually one digit is wrong, I would tell the client to contact the employer and check with SS to see that credit was given. I would do the return as if the SS number was correct. Now what do you think we should do?

Comment

Reread the announcement

Inputting W-2s for ITINs
              The IRS has announced that for filing season 2012 it is required to manually key entry the Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) as it appears on Form W-2. This means software providers are not allowed to auto-populate the TIN on Form W-2 input sheets.What do you think this means?
              When I read the notice, it applied ONLY to 1040 returns that were filed under an ITIN, not to the common return filed by a taxpayer with an SSN. Such ITIN returns would include a W-2 only if the taxpayer were working illegally. The TIN on the W-2 could not be the ITIN of the taxpayer, since a W-2 requires a SSN and the holder of an ITIN does not possess one. Hence blindly copying the ITIN into the SSN field would be incorrect.

Comment

Don

Don, you explained it so much better! Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X