Form 982 & Joint Filers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 982 & Joint Filers

Husband had $30K of credit card debt forgiven in 2010; got a 1099-C for that amount. He files jointly in a non-community-property state. In determining how much of the $30K would be taxable, do we include his wife's assets, or just his own? (He is insolvent, she has assets that she hold alone.)

Joe

Originally posted by redsox2004 View Post
    Husband had $30K of credit card debt forgiven in 2010; got a 1099-C for that amount. He files jointly in a non-community-property state. In determining how much of the $30K would be taxable, do we include his wife's assets, or just his own? (He is insolvent, she has assets that she hold alone.)

Joe
    He would have to file MFS and claim insolvency. What the effect is on the wife's return has got to be better than including $30,000 on a joint return.

MFS, I guess it is allowed?
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
      He would have to file MFS and claim insolvency. What the effect is on the wife's return has got to be better than including $30,000 on a joint return.

MFS, I guess it is allowed?
      Yes, he can file as MFS. Returns have not yet been filed so we're in ok shape for that. I haven't looked at the returns yet, but they're moderate-earners and I cannot imagine that they come out ahead by having $30K additional income--even if he has little or no earnings (which I think is the case--he's been out of work for a year) on his returns.

Joe

Comment

Working...
      X