IRS Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Survey

Can't imagine how I missed this before, but just noticed in my emails there's an "Invitation to participate in IRS return preparation job analysis survey" dated June 13th. Anybody else here get one?

I know there's lots of fake IRS email going around and FE's right on the mark about any (of us) being dopey enough to open such should be executed, but this one appears to be the real thing (a Prometric survey). My AVG virus-checker says it's okay, but who knows...

Text was:

"The Internal Revenue Service is undertaking a job analysis through its testing vendor, Prometric, to validate the work performed by individuals who prepare tax returns for individual taxpayers. The purpose of this job analysis study is to identify the tasks performed by tax return preparers and the knowledge/skills required to perform these tasks. The results of the study will be used by Prometric to create Specifications for the tax return preparer examination.

You have been invited to provide valuable input to this process by responding to the following survey. The survey has several components and your responses on each part are very important. Please take your time in completing the survey. Pilot respondents indicate that it took them approximately 30 minutes to complete; however you do not have to complete the survey in one sittings. Note that if you finish and submit the survey for your information to be the most..."

The ending plus some right-justified words ran off my hard copy page but the gist of it comes through.

It's from: irs @ service.govdelivery.com -- I put a space between irs@ and @service to keep it from making a link here and the bold lettering is mine. While not the usual IRS email address, it sounds like it would be legitimate for its purpose.

Then follows the underlined attachment link " Access the Survey" followed by "The completed survey must be submitted before Wednesay, June 22, 2011 (12P, EDT). This message was distributed automatically." and "Please Do Not Reply To This Message."

The question's moot now, but I'd like to know if others got it or not and what you think.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 06-27-2011, 08:20 AM.

There was some talk about this survey over on the ATX Unofficial Forum last week. I think it's legtimate, assuming one wants to burn off billable time for the sole purpose of helping some bureacrat justify his job.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I did it when it first came out. It asked a lot of questions "Do you think this is important?" I just about answered everything "very important".

Comment

I received it, but did not participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
          I did it when it first came out. It asked a lot of questions "Do you think this is important?" I just about answered everything "very important".
          And THAT is why I terminated my participation after first page of "Not, least... most" important. How on earth can a conscientious preparer think any of those are not most important?

Another dumb survey.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
            And THAT is why I terminated my participation after first page of "Not, least... most" important. How on earth can a conscientious preparer think any of those are not most important?

Another dumb survey.
            My thoughts too. How can you say something is not important? Even as menial as addressing the tax return or info to the correct address. If you send it to the wrong place, it might get lost. So, everything is very important.
            You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

I did it too

I also thought it was pretty lame. I marked everything very important. Even if you were just doing an EZ or A you would need to know most of the things they were asking.

Strange survey

Linda, EA

Comment

My thoughts exactly....

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                There was some talk about this survey over on the ATX Unofficial Forum last week. I think it's legtimate, assuming one wants to burn off billable time for the sole purpose of helping some bureacrat justify his job.
                I received the survey too. I wasn't entirely sure it was legit and then decided why should I give them the benefit of my experience FREE....geez, maybe give me a free PTIN or something....oh, that's right....it WAS FREE....now they are charging me for the same stinking number! Sorry for the rant.....

Mo

Comment

Working...
                X