No announcement yet.

Hiring a contractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an interesting twist the conversation has taken. Insofar as the W-9 is concerned, I'm not sure I'd want to see documentation. As long as it's filled out completely, the payer is off the hook. Just issue the 1099's at year-end and forget about it.

If IRS sends a follow-up letter a couple of years later requiring you to do backup withholding, then do it if the contractor is still around. You've fulfilled your responsibiliy in getting the W-9 filled out. Why ask for trouble by obtaining documentation you aren't required to see and really have no right to demand? To me this is another one of those suble steps down the road of becoming a uncompensated arm of the IRS. And I think it may carry some potential legal risks.
    Last edited by JohnH; 06-16-2011, 03:08 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I agree with JohnH and I'd be more concerned about the classification of IC vs. Employee.

If IC - W-9 is all that is necessary. If Employee - I-9 w/ proper documentation.

Comment

One of my pet peeves.

Good info by Gary and John. A W-9 does not mean that they will give a SS#. They may give an EIN. You ONLY ASK to see the card if they fill out a W-4 and I-9. You MAY copy it, but that is not required.

Now to my pet peeve. It is all this gathering of TMI that led to the governments idea of getting ID #'s from everyone for everything.
        JG

Comment

Working...
        X