Acceptance letter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acceptance letter?

Is there still or was there ever such a thing? A client asked me a while back for "a form from IRS saying I've been accepted." In the early prior EF years I remember printing out such a form or a letter or something -- at least the software did -- but I can't seem to find anything on it now.

Is there an IRS form? Software generated? Something else?

Is is necessary to keep/have/print one for each return? If so, they'll have to hang me many times over.

Software

If you are talking about "Acknowledgements" or "Confirmations" for electroncially filed return, my tax software provides those reports/letters after the Efile has been received, processed -

something to the effect"this letter is confirmation of the transission of your return to the IRS" etc.

Sandy

Comment

Lacerte provides an "acceptance" letter. Contact your software provider and ask if they offer them.
      Dave, EA

Comment

Sounds like you're talking about form 9325. A letter containing the same information will meet the requirements of Pub 1345 as well.

Originally posted by IRS Pub 1345
        The ERO must, at the request of the taxpayer, provide the Declaration Control
        Number (DCN) and the date the IRS accepted the electronic individual income tax
        return data. The ERO may use Form 9325, Acknowledgment and General Information
        for Taxpayers Who File Returns Electronically for this purpose. The ERO must also,
        if requested, supply the electronic postmark if the Transmitter provided one for
        the return.

Comment

Include with completed return

I give my clients a copy of the e-mail that I receive from TaxAct showing their return has been accepted by the IRS/State of XX. I began doing this when I first opened my practice. I explain to the clients that this is their proof that their return was electronically filed. The federal acceptance also shows the anticipated refund date, if a refund is due. Both e-mails (federal/state) show the DCN in case any further investigation is needed.

Good luck!
          Mo

Comment

I don't give them anything. But if they ask I'll tell them when it was accepted. And if not accepted I will call them.
            JG

Comment

Working...
            X