Tuition & Fees Deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuition & Fees Deduction

I need some input. Client is self employed. Spent $1900 at a community College
    to complete a class on improving his job skills in heating business. AGI was $118,000 MFJ.The client received a notice that he had under reported some w-2 income but also IRS
    removed the Tuition and Fees Deduction. Can't understand why the deduction unless they just want to see the actual expense. Does anyone have an idea why?

How much was the under reported W2 income. Did he go over the $130,000 threshhold.

Comment

Tuition & Fees

Never mind. The IRS said on the notice that since there was not a 1099T they wanted to look at the actual expenses. Thank anyway.

Comment

Why

did you not deduct the expense on Sch C?

Comment

I agree. Deduction could have been on Sche C.

Comment

More info is needed here

So long as the "old" job and and "new" training are reasonably close in nature, I concur that going the Sch C deduction route is likely the most realistic approach.

MAJOR caveat: The phrase "improving job skills" sounds, to me, very non-specific............details??

Other issues (income/type of class/student status) etc could muddy up the waters for any education credits/deductions. The absence of a Form 1098-T also throws further cloudiness into the situation.

FE

Comment

Why is there no 1098-T? A community college is surely an eligible institution. Was it a high school level course? Does the client have a high school diploma or GED?

Comment

Working...
              X