Off-topic: Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-topic: Apple

I'd like to see if anyone uses an Apple product for our business and hear about your likes and dislikes. Many of my clients love them so much better than a pc for a variety of reasons, but they are not in our profession. Seems some years ago our tax programs, QB, etc did not do well on Apple.

Please share your thoughts and what Apple products you like and why.

Thank you.

I use an iMac with VM fusion...

...since there is no professional Mac tax software. Rather than print in the Windows environment, I generally print to PDF and do the hardcopy printing on the Mac side. It gives me more control. Overall, it is at least as fast as many PC systems I have seen. I am quite happy doing it this way.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

an Apple a Day? I think not!

Look... Apple owners are usually... Well nevermind..

Apple's are fine. If that's what you like.. Graphics, Great, sound? Great? Office productivity? Not so much. I'm sure there are plenty to argue. But the fact is simple.. It's a numbers game. People are tired of PC's because of malware, viruses and other crap.

Apple's don't have that problem? BULL-Carp. If you have 100,000 people using a Mac or 100,000,000 people using a PC - Where do you think the virus/malware/spyware writers are going to go? Where they can get the most bang for their buck! It's only simple math.

When/If hey get a larger share they too will experience the same crap.

BTW - I don't know of anyone that writes Tax Software for Apple.
      Matthew Jones
      Tax Preparation
      Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
      Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

While we're talking operating systems.....

I loaded a Linux system on an old laptop and have been wondering if it's possible to use a Windows tax system on a Linux platform. Any experts know if or how that can be done? I read about programs to run Windows programs, but so far I can't figure out how it's done. I like the speed of the Linux for surfing the web and other things I can get it to do, and of course even less of a problem with viruses, etc. Just thought it might be an alternative to all the updates and fixes for Windows that seem to come in daily.
        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

WIndows on Linux?? Isn't that what Apple is?

Linux is the best - technically what Apple is these days - A modified Solaris / Linux host.

Anyway.. Yes. you can run windows on linux. You can use VM software and create Virtual PC's running anything you like. There are various FREE versions.
          VMWare, Citrix, etc....

My one PC is running VMWare. There I have a Windows Domain controller (VM) and one other server to enhance my work skills....Just put a decent processor & MEMORY behind the system and you can run 4 PC's within one PC. Why? MONEY! Some small companies (and idiots like me) may need a few servers to run their company. BINGO! One decent system gets you 4 -- Lots of other things to do too..

TAXMADMAN (sorry couldn't help - wanted to do that for a while) - It's Friday!! Shhh!
          if you need an assist and would like to learn more drop me an PM and I'll give you my email. Unless others here want to learn more??

Anyway - it's easy to spin up an extra Virtual PC so you can try new software or test a program on another computer before you pollute your own. Then, delete it just as quick or more importantly ROLL it Back to the PC it was right before you did the software install. Lot's of great usues. For me it's a lab at home to learn from - Both the Technology side of my career and the Tax Preparer portion.

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
          I loaded a Linux system on an old laptop and have been wondering if it's possible to use a Windows tax system on a Linux platform. Any experts know if or how that can be done? I read about programs to run Windows programs, but so far I can't figure out how it's done. I like the speed of the Linux for surfing the web and other things I can get it to do, and of course even less of a problem with viruses, etc. Just thought it might be an alternative to all the updates and fixes for Windows that seem to come in daily.
          Last edited by MAJ; 05-20-2011, 11:13 PM.
          Matthew Jones
          Tax Preparation
          Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
          Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Apple

Thanks to all for the opinions.

Comment

Apple and QB

The MAC version of QB is quite different than the PC Version, number of features are not available. However, Windows can be run on a MAC (not on every MAC special program needed) BUT this defeats the purpose of using a MAC.

As long as Windows is used on a MAC it is subject to the same security risk as a PC.

Comment

TRX Tax Exact

The website says that they have versions for Linux and for the Mac.

Gretel when you run a virtual machine that machine getting infected is really no problem because the bad stuff can't get on your hardware. It goes away for good when you turn off the virtual machine.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                  The website says that they have versions for Linux and for the Mac.

Gretel when you run a virtual machine that machine getting infected is really no problem because the bad stuff can't get on your hardware. It goes away for good when you turn off the virtual machine.
                  Thanks for the clarification, Erchess. I have a virtual Windows XP on my Windows 7 computer. If indeed, viruses etc. go away for good, why do they recommend getting a separate Anti-Virus for your virtual machine, do you know?

Comment

I can't speak to the issue of running tax software on a Mac, because I still use a pc for tax, excel, word, qb, etc. But I will put in a good word for the iPad for virtually every other reason you need a computer. It's a fantastic little device, and even more useful if it's used in conjunction with an iPhone.
                    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Apple is like CRACK!

I bought my wife an iPod Touch for her birthday, liked it so much she bought me a Touch a few weeks later. Then I got a hankering for an iPad, so she bought me one for my b-day. Then, we bought our daughter a Touch for a gift. Then my wife got an iPad2. So, in the span of about two months I dropped $2500 with Apple after going to Wal-Mart just to buy an iPod for a b-day gift.

Again, Apple products are like CRACK!

Comment

Not to mention all the cool apps you discover, at $0.99 to $4.99 each.
                        Pretty soon you're wondering how you ever got this far in life without an iPad.
                        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Apple

Sounds like I should just stay with my pc or get a new one. Probably, a new one is the way to go, as my current pc and Office programs were purchased in 2004, so my guess is they are tired.

Appreciate your input.

Comment

Old Machines...

I hear, see and know of people buying new PC's all the time. My confusion most of the time is WHY!?? If you bought a computer and it did the job why buy new?
                            Tired - AGREED! After a few years it's always good to refresh your PC from a software perspective. Now, don't get me wrong - The new PC's have faster EVERYTHING. So that's a good reason to switch. Reload the operating system and programs and you will swear you have a new machine!!

Originally posted by DTS View Post
                            Sounds like I should just stay with my pc or get a new one. Probably, a new one is the way to go, as my current pc and Office programs were purchased in 2004, so my guess is they are tired.

Appreciate your input.
                            Matthew Jones
                            Tax Preparation
                            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!

Comment

Originally posted by MAJ View Post
                              I hear, see and know of people buying new PC's all the time. My confusion most of the time is WHY!?? If you bought a computer and it did the job why buy new?
                              Tired - AGREED! After a few years it's always good to refresh your PC from a software perspective. Now, don't get me wrong - The new PC's have faster EVERYTHING. So that's a good reason to switch. Reload the operating system and programs and you will swear you have a new machine!!
                              Besides of speed, another good reason to buy a new computer is that all professional software is use, are resource hogs. They expect computers to have plenty of resources nowadays. Yes another reason is to not all of a sudden have the hard drive die or something else and be forced to switch.

Before I switched to a new computer with Windows 7 at the beginning of the year, my son and I did some brain storming for the necessity, since he also said all you need to buy is a new hard drive and upgrade your memory. I decided against it because of the speed and my first argument above.

Plus switching to Windows 7 is a big chore including replacement of of other hardware and maybe software, depends on what you use. I surely wanted to be in control of when to tackle this. I still have my old (4 years) XP computer and will keep it as a backup. First I thought I would sell it since it is a real good machine, but exactly for that reason I better keep it.

Dennis, you are lucky that your computer is still working at that age. New computers are so inexpensive nowadays. I encourage you to jump into Windows 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X