Refund Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refund Question

Back in June client received a letter stating he couldn't claim EIC because the SS# I put down on the tax return did not belong to his wife. She has a ITIN but that wasn't what was listed on her W-2. I put down the number on her W-2.

So this has held up his refund. He still has not got it. The form said they would change it automatically didn't have to call them.

I am just wondering which number would be best to call to check on it,
    1800-829-1040 or the Practioner Hotline.

Thank you
    Geek Girl DAny

IRS question

You can go on the internet at IRS.gov to check on a refund, ( just click on wheres my refund ), but if you actually want to talk to someone 1800-829-1040 will probably work as good as any other number, which is to say, GOOD LUCK!
    Ken
    ken

Comment

If the SS # did not belong to her, and she has an ITIN, then they will not be entitled to EIC. All numbers on the return must be SS #'s. No ITIN's.

If she eventually gets a SS #, they can go back the prior three years and amend and get the EIC at that time.
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Advantage to E-filing

When working with clients that are not citizens, it is a good idea to inquire if the SSN ontheir w-2's etc are genuine or not. In the end youhave to trust their answers. However, this is where efiling has an advantage. The efiling will not accept ssn's that do not match names, etc. When that happens you know something is not right.

Comment

Verifying a valid SSN

Geek, what exactly do you want to check with the IRS? Why didn't you check with your clients first? Did you have them sign Form 8867? They told you she had an ITIN. Verifying a valid SSN was a mandatory requirement for you.

Comment

These clients are new. Actually a relative of one of my other very good clients. He brought all his relatives tax info in on April 15th. I was told to use the information on the W-2. So that is what I did. I did not efile because they were unable to stop by the office to sign the 8453. The brother took the return back to them to sign and mail off. I was not told that she had a ITIN until AFTER they received the notice about not getting the EIC.

Got off the phone with the IRS. According to them he has not filed 2000,02,03 tax returns and they have a hold on his account until he files. I called and he has apparently been filing under a ITIN number in previous years. So he has been using his SS # and ITIN. I called the tax practioner hotline they would not merge the numbers without a 8821. So he is coming by to sign it.

Big lesson here. I will now have do efile even if they bring it on April 15th. I'll go ahead and file an extension next time if it means I will avoid this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteOleander
              If the SS # did not belong to her, and she has an ITIN, then they will not be entitled to EIC. All numbers on the return must be SS #'s. No ITIN's.

If she eventually gets a SS #, they can go back the prior three years and amend and get the EIC at that time.

This is very good to know. From now on I will double check with them on their numbers. Another business client just got a letter from the Social Security Admin that 6 of his workers SS# are not correct.

Comment

Bringing back an old thread:

Well looks like the numbers were not merged. His 2005 refund is on hold again. This time the gal I talked to at the tax pracitioner hotline would not cross reference so he could get his refund. Said I need to answer the letters originally sent and tell them he filed under his ITIN. That it would keep on happening until I do that. I was told it had been resolved. Wished I would've just filed under his ITIN instead of the SS#.

Comment

I thought some might be interested.

Call the tax practioner the third time now on this. It was the IRS fault. The numbers are cross-referenced but when his refund was processed the computers were down. They were unable to double check the cross reference so a hold was put on it. Said he was releasing the refund and would get it in 3 weeks.

That is the IRS for you.

Comment

That is the IRS

Earlier I had a direct deposit changed by the IRS and my client got her refund check several weeks later than if the IRS had processed it correctly. It was one of many that got changed by IRS back in February. We just have to bounce with the balls thrown to us. At least my client understood that this was not my part.

Comment

Working...
                    X