Some doozies I just heard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some doozies I just heard!

Client came in with questions about starting as a independent trucker. During our conversation, he mentioned a friend of his does the same thing. Friend told him to save ALL receipts for EVERYTHING. Friend would include wife's gas receipts (among other things) in his business expenses. Friend also said he writes off paying someone to mow his lawn, because he isn't there to do it. WOW! I didn't know I could hire a maid to take care of my housework and take it off as a business expense!!! That would really help during tax season!

Am I being too conservative?

I wish the IRS would audit more TT returns.

Thoughts?

I think he should also consider deducting the cost of the food, vet bills, and toys for the "security cat" to keep watch over his home while he's away on business.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

It happens

Originally posted by dkss View Post
      Client came in with questions about starting as a independent trucker. During our conversation, he mentioned a friend of his does the same thing. Friend told him to save ALL receipts for EVERYTHING. Friend would include wife's gas receipts (among other things) in his business expenses. Friend also said he writes off paying someone to mow his lawn, because he isn't there to do it. WOW! I didn't know I could hire a maid to take care of my housework and take it off as a business expense!!! That would really help during tax season!

Am I being too conservative?

I wish the IRS would audit more TT returns.

Thoughts?
      I know a realtor whose wife says he wants all their gasoline tickets: wife, kids, the ones the customer in front of them left in the slot. His kids get financial aid to college somehow. They have alot of nice stuff. Hmmm. Now I'm just mad.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
        I know a realtor whose wife says he wants all their gasoline tickets: wife, kids, the ones the customer in front of them left in the slot. His kids get financial aid to college somehow. They have alot of nice stuff. Hmmm. Now I'm just mad.
        Sort of reminds me of a certain Cheers episode in which NORMAN! is facing an audit and he's busy collecting receipts, any kind, even those in current year.

is it any wonder people like that realtor get those ideas?
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

It's worth watching:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
            I just watched it and it was funny. I sure miss that program. I do remember that actress that bid on Woody for a date at the bar auction and he was scared out of his wits when she told him "You better be good!"

John, thanks for the nice break!

Comment

Happened years ago but still good for a chuckle when I think of it. A business client's non-working spouse called the office and...

CW: I want to get a sales tax number.
              BB: Umm...well, okay. Have you ever had one before?
              CW: No.
              BB: Are you opening a business?
              BB: Okay then, is this about a large one-time purchase you're planning, something out-of-state, or is this maybe related to your husband's business?
              BB: Okay then, so uh...well...why do you want a number?
              CW: I've heard that if you have a number then you don't have to pay sales tax when you buy things. Is that true?
              BB: Well, under certain conditions and generally speaking, yes, but...
              CW: I don't like to pay sales tax.
              BB:

Comment

Working...
              X