NY Installment Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY Installment Agreement

I am not a registered preparer in NY because I prepared only one NY Return this season after preparing none at all ever before in my life. I now have a new client who needs an IA in NY. Can I represent him or must/should I turn him over to someone else? Can anyone give me pointers to finding the POA for NY and the number to call to work out and IA? All responses appreciated.

NY Installment Agreement

I've never had a NYS tax installment agreement to work with - so I can't help you there.

NYS changed the rules for EAs last year and you don't need a special NY PTIN number.

The link above gives you the POA - and you'll probably have to navigate the site for phone assistance. NYS NO LONGER has toll free numbers- you'll have to call a 518 area code.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

TY Uncle Sam

Everything I needed right there.

Comment

Here's some more info on their installment agreement process. Looks like you can set it up over the phone if the client is otherwise in compliance. They probably have limits for automatic approval, etc similar to IRS rules.

I'll bet you could call them with the client conferenced in on the call and dispose of the whole thing in fairly short order, without even bothering with a POA. Or I notice there's something about an automated system you can use by entering a pin number from the bill. Might not even need to speak with a human on this matter. Just a thought or two...
        Last edited by JohnH; 05-09-2011, 06:08 PM.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

One more question

I want to negotiate a deal but I want it understood that I have to get off the line and get it approved by my client before the deal is final. So which NY form to I want? It looks to me as thought the DTF-280 was just made for me but I would appreciate confirmation.

John you're right but the taxpayer prefers not to join me in a conference call. He's familiar with powers of attorney and asked to do them.
          Last edited by erchess; 05-09-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Edwin: I know that some people have a basic fear of speaking with tax officials and I understand that. But many times when they are reluctant to do a conference call it's because there's something else hanging out there that they haven't told me about and they're worried that it will come up. And it usually does. If that's the case, you'll find out after you've jumped through a few hoops with NY.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Doesn't have to stay

And, your client doesn't have to remain on the call after he gives permission to NY to talk to you.

Comment

TY for the input on calls

In this case I think the problem is that his daytime phone is a cell with the call coming in while he's on a busy construction site and he's subject to interruption. While he had me on the line at least five distinct voices had conversations I could overhear with him. I would imagine a dozen or more people heard him discuss his tax problems with me. I would also imagine that he knows he can abruptly start and stop talking to me but while the government person is on the line he can't walk away without blowing the situation. He may also know things he didn't want to tell me but if so I will find out and deal with them. I can think of things that might ruin his day or my ability to work for him but not of anything that would ruin my day.

Comment

Working...
                X