OIH depreciation recapture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OIH depreciation recapture

Client has been taking depreciation as part of OIH deduction (although none has been deducted as Sch. C income was always less than $0). Client indicates that in 2010 the OIH ceased to be used solely for business, so we need to stop taking the deduction. My question is this, do we recapture the previous depreciation in 2010 due to ceased use as OIH or wait until property is sold? Can't find any specific reference to this anywhere, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
    Client has been taking depreciation as part of OIH deduction (although none has been deducted as Sch. C income was always less than $0). Client indicates that in 2010 the OIH ceased to be used solely for business, so we need to stop taking the deduction. My question is this, do we recapture the previous depreciation in 2010 due to ceased use as OIH or wait until property is sold? Can't find any specific reference to this anywhere, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
    My understanding is recapture on sale not cessation of use. Don't have a cite without taking the time to research the applicable regs. Have been know to be wrong so check the regs!

Comment

Allowed or allowable.

The depreciation was never allowed or allowable. So, would it ever be recaptured, even when selling the home?

Comment

It will be allowable at the point the TP's Sch C becomes profitable

so I would think it would still be subject to recapture at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
          so I would think it would still be subject to recapture at some point.
          And I would think the tax benefit rule would come into play.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
            And I would think the tax benefit rule would come into play.
            Yep, agree with Haensel.

Only needs to be recaptured up to the amount of benefit received.

Comment

Working...
            X