Credit Card Payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Payment

I think I left my thinking cap at the gun range. When a credit card payment is made is it an expense or is it a transfer from checking to CC? The individual charges were never posted as an expense.

Thanks

Kurly

Credit Card Payment

The proper way is to record the charges and set up a liability account - then when the payment is made - offset the liability account.
    If you're not doing that, then the only way to keep a handle on the account is to charge the expenses directly when paid to the credit card.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Cash basis accounting

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
      The proper way is to record the charges and set up a liability account - then when the payment is made - offset the liability account.
      If you're not doing that, then the only way to keep a handle on the account is to charge the expenses directly when paid to the credit card.
      '
      I keep my books on a cash basis, so I treat my credit cards as if it were a bank account;e.g. I debit Supplies and Credit Visa Acct. which I have set up as a current asset. Then when I pay the Visa, I debit the Visa account and credit my bank account. This is not GAAP but it is my own books so I don't plan to give them to anyone to evaluate.

It would work equally well to use Uncle Sam's method and set up a liability account for the credit card even if you are on a cash basis However, my accounting program does not recognize expenses recorded to a liability account until they are paid. Consequently, Accounts Receivable can be recorded without recognizing income if not paid.
      Last edited by taxxcpa; 05-08-2011, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X