cemetery association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cemetery association

appied for a federal id number. They did not file for tax exempt non profit status. They have $500.00 in interest income and mowing expense that would eliminate that. What would they be required to file?

Nothing

I don't know what the threshold is (last time I checked I think it was $25,000). At any rate, $500 doesn't even approach a fraction of the filing requirements for Form 990.

I used to file a Form 990 for a Cemetery similar to yours, except it got to be such a hassle with them adding more and more schedules, that I finally just quit filing. At one point I also filed Form 1024 to obtain tax 501(c) status. They turned around and sent it back to me and asked for a $1200 "User Fee."

I recommended the cemetery NOT pay the $1200. 501(c) status only solidifies the deductibility of the tax-exempt organization. Lack of 501(c) does not necessary deny the deductibility.

Comment

So I need to file a 990 even though they are not tax exempt status...?

Comment

1120 ?

If they organized as an association, they probably file Form 1120. Look at their SS-4 where they applied and also the letter accepting their filing where the IRS tells them what form they expect them to file on what date.

Comment

Working...
        X