Deceased Spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deceased Spouse

A new client has not filed taxes since 2006. Her husband passed away 2009. They lived together in a comm prop state California 2006-2009. They need to file joint returns for all of those years. I submitted form 2848 and had the wife sign as surviving spouse. Then IRS requested a copy of the death certificate. I have POA for the wife but they never processed the POA for the deceased husband. I need to get his wage and income transcripts in order to file those past years. Do I just resend a copy of the death certificate to the CAF dept so I can have POA for the deceased husband?

The other issue is I looked on the account history for the wife and when they got refunds in 2000-2005 the refunds were applied to 1987 taxes owed. The IRS only has 10 years from the tax assessment to collect taxes. It looks like they may have taken the refunds in errors. Can I get POA's for 1987? Should I request the master file?

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on the best way to go about helping this client.

Thanks!
    GTS1101

Originally posted by GTS1101 View Post
    A new client has not filed taxes since 2006. Her husband passed away 2009. They lived together in a comm prop state California 2006-2009. They need to file joint returns for all of those years. I submitted form 2848 and had the wife sign as surviving spouse. Then IRS requested a copy of the death certificate. I have POA for the wife but they never processed the POA for the deceased husband. I need to get his wage and income transcripts in order to file those past years. Do I just resend a copy of the death certificate to the CAF dept so I can have POA for the deceased husband?

The other issue is I looked on the account history for the wife and when they got refunds in 2000-2005 the refunds were applied to 1987 taxes owed. The IRS only has 10 years from the tax assessment to collect taxes. It looks like they may have taken the refunds in errors. Can I get POA's for 1987? Should I request the master file?

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on the best way to go about helping this client.

Thanks!
    GTS1101
    Have client submit Form 56 then you can use her POA for what you need on hubby
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
    X