Deadwood Desertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadwood Desertion

I don't know about others, but I have seen at least 6 REAL BAD tax preparer's returns come in this year. Seems these tax preparers are getting out of the business. And that my friends, is good news. They needed to go. Cheating and the clients don't even know it. They just answer questions and get a pencil-whipped tax return that they trust is solid.

None of them were upset that they were not getting a big fat refund.

One is going back to the other preparer for an amended tax return.

Just lettin' some steam off......
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Puppy Mills

That's what IRS examiners call the large storefront chains when they are behind closed doors, according to one member of this community who has come to know an IRS agent pretty well.

I did an amended return this year for an over-the-road trucker.

On the original return, the preparer used the standard mileage rate instead of actual expenses, and did not take any of the per diem allowance that is available to OTR drivers.

But the real mind-blowing error was that the Schedule C indicated that the taxpayer did not materially participate in the business. The Schedule C reflected a net loss, which the software treated as a suspended passive loss. The net loss on Schedule C did not appear on line 12 of Form 1040.

Garbage in, Garbage out. What this tells me is that the preparer did not even take the time to review the printed return. Whatever the program spits out, here's your tax return. It's the mentality of a data entry clerk.

Mortgage loan processors get more training, and are held to higher standards, that this sort of trash. I'm talking about the internal staff at a mortgage lender--not the licensed mortgage broker or loan officer.

Unless... well, if the trucker told the tax pro that he was asleep at the wheel, I suppose that would mean that he was not materially participating...

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
      ....Garbage in, Garbage out. ...Unless... well, if the trucker told the tax pro that he was asleep at the wheel, I suppose that would mean that he was not materially participating...

BMK
      Maybe it was garbage he was hauling and that is not Material so no material participation......
      JG

Comment

Working...
      X