Filing for dependent minor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing for dependent minor

In 2009 I filed a return for a dependent minor solely to establish a capital loss carryover. There was no filing requirement, even under the kiddie tax provisions. For 2010, he has no income and no capital transactions. Do I need to file just to propagate the capital loss carryover, or can I simply pick it up later when there is some activity?
    Evan Appelman, EA

Filing for Dependent Minor

This subject has come up before - if not on this board - on other practitioner forums.

The capital loss stays in suspense until there's taxable income to write it off against - so there's no need to file a return solely to keep the capital loss carryover intact.

I had a different type of situation this year. I had minor dependent children who had capital losses only on the return - but to establish the loss I had to file the returns
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Capital Loss Carryover

See this earlier thread for more detail...

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Working...
      X