No announcement yet.

Rounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No kidding. I IMMEDIATELY submitted a a letter explaining the situation and requesting
    reconsideration of the issue. A few days later I was able to obtain a signed Power of Attorney
    from the taxpayer which I submitted to IRS. Apparently before IRS received the POA the IRS
    representative called me. I did not EXPECT him to discuss the matter with me then. I am NOT
    complaining about that. My complaint is that AFTER he received the POA he still could not give
    me a a sensible reason as to why the tax was assessed. Later he admitted to me that it was a
    KEYING MISTAKE made by IRS which caused the assessment. Today on 5-4-11 I received a letter
    recommending a NO CHANGE of the case.
    Last edited by dyne; 05-05-2011, 08:45 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      I don't expect computers to have common sense. But it isn't expecting too much to hold the people who program them responsible for using common sense. Blaming the computer is a lame excuse.
      And I totally agree...garbage in, garbage out....My take is the programmers should be consistant with the tax laws and someone should be checking their work before it is used. Maybe we all should send the IRS definition of rounding to the programmers.

On the other hand this is obviously an IRS error and therefore they should back down on the audit.

It is just a waste of time to have to point out these issues to the IRS and yet have the client think we made the error
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Note: I will send a copy of the POA with the response letter, unless I have already faxed it to the auditor while on the phone with them. That way they have it right in front of them.

Was it paper filed? Or was the audit the keying error?

Comment

The "Keying Mistake" was an error made by IRS. This has never been explained to me.
          The IRS respresentative has been almost impossible to contact and the two times I
          talked to him he did not make much sense. The important issue is that a NO CHANGE
          letter was issued regarding the return.

Comment

Originally posted by dyne View Post
            The "Keying Mistake" was an error made by IRS. This has never been explained to me.
            The IRS respresentative has been almost impossible to contact and the two times I
            talked to him he did not make much sense. The important issue is that a NO CHANGE
            letter was issued regarding the return.
            I'm surprised you were able to get the same one more than once. You can talk to anyone that answers. The make copious notes on the computer file for each phone call.

Comment

Depends on the type of audit. Service center audits, no you can't get any one person. Office and field audits, you are dealing with one auditor.

Comment

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                Depends on the type of audit. Service center audits, no you can't get any one person. Office and field audits, you are dealing with one auditor.
                mahalo nui

Comment

Working...
                X